Sonic Electronix

I've got a FI sp4 15 and I just got a crescendo encore 4.5k. I've got the subsonic set around 25 lpf around 80 and at 80 on my hu. I'm running the sub at 2ohm so I really don't think I'm over powering it. I got the sub and enclosure from a buddy and the box I think might be the problem. Its homemade and I'm not sure exactly what it's tuned too etc. I've got the gain around 1/4 and I'm not using the bass boost at all and I don't even have a knob connected. Is there certain setting I should tweak? I'll be making a new enclosure soon. The sub is def getting hot and not the amp I can feel the dust cap getting pretty warm when I beat it hard for a few mins and the amp is barely getting warm at all. I feel like this sub has more in it. I'm hoping it's just the enclosure sucks, don't wanna burn the sub up tho. I've installed and tuned alot of systems so I feel like everything is right. Maybe this amp is just putting out more than I expected at 2ohm? Prob just the enclosure I hope tho. Luckily I can get recones fairly cheap. Eventually I'll be using this amp at 1ohm on 2 FI sp4's

the dust cap will get warm regardless.. is the sub new? it might be just the glue..

also 1/4 of the gain means nothing.. did you use any a tool that tells you its safe to be set there. did you use a tool that tells you if the head unit is sending clipped signal?

if your gain isnt set with an o-scope or a dd1, its proably not set right. never underestimate the power of a clipped/ distorted signal. i would try to find someone with a o-scope or dd1 near you and contact them about using it to set the amp properly

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

I messaged and asked him how new it is and I'm just waiting on a reply. No I didn't use a dd1 or oscope. I've used this same head unit on 4 different setups and I've never had smelly subs. I don't know anyone with a dd1. Well I guess I'll turn the amp down a little. I guess I just expected more outta this sp4. Guess my next investment should be a dd1. So don't worry about the dust caps getting hot? Guess I could pull the sub and smell around the coils and see if that's where Its coming from?/

Yes it's ported.

yeah i thought about after. i did see that you said you didnt know what was it tuned to. maybe its a sign i should get some sleep

set the gain lower

even with subs set with a DD-1 I had hot glue smell. Now that the glue issue is over , no hot sub smell using DD-1 settings. Playing outside of tuning couls also be an issue.

Archived