GorillaFIngeRs Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 I just picked up a second type R and wanted to see if any of you mad scientists would be willing to help me with a box design. The avail space that I have is 19"D x 30"W x 15.5H. I know its a tight fit but that is all i have due to working out of my vehicle. I would like it ported to 32-33hz whatever you guys recommend. I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla, I will be running 1800w to the subs (900w) to each. I listen to mostly hip hop and ska/reggae. Anything helps, thanks for the input ahead of time. [url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gorilla7fingers/media/REBOx_zpspz9rkjw8.png.html]This is somewhat what i belive i would like. Not sure if the port area is too much or too little. AQ3500.115" Fi SP41/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground 1/0 Sky High Big 3 UpgradePioneer AVH-4200NEXXS Power D1200 Underhood Intimidator Gel In Trunk CES 250A Alternator
Eric Bascetta Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 Thats real tight, you are looking at 4 cuft gross in that box. I liked my type R's at 14 sqin of port per sqft. Can you get anymore size out of that trunk? I'd go for a slot port 14" x 4" - 24" long (takes up about 1 cuft) tuned at 34hz in a 4 cuft box....if somehow you could squeeze out another 1 cuft i think that would work well
Eric Bascetta Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 I think that box you just put up could work ok, its on the smaller side but you are going to be pushing them pretty hard with 900 watts each and that smaller enclosure may give them more control.
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 That box calculator doesn't account for sub displacement, and you probably want a double baffle for strength. Here is how it would do it. Alpine recommends a pretty small box for these subs (1.0 -1.5 cu ft each). You are right under 1.5 cu ft each. A larger box could get you additional performance, but if you don't have the space, then it doesn't matter. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
GorillaFIngeRs Posted March 25, 2016 Author Report Posted March 25, 2016 Hmmm... I may be able to reorganize the stuff that i have to keep in my trunk to hopefully get some more usable area. Let me mess around with it this afternoon and ill see if i can get some new dimensions. Triticum, when you say better performance from a larger box what do you mean exactly? Output, Sound Quality, SPL? AQ3500.115" Fi SP41/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground 1/0 Sky High Big 3 UpgradePioneer AVH-4200NEXXS Power D1200 Underhood Intimidator Gel In Trunk CES 250A Alternator
SubbinNCali Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 What about round ports, side firing? Would that gain the OP a little room?
Joe X Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 Hmmm... I may be able to reorganize the stuff that i have to keep in my trunk to hopefully get some more usable area. Let me mess around with it this afternoon and ill see if i can get some new dimensions. Triticum, when you say better performance from a larger box what do you mean exactly? Output, Sound Quality, SPL? Larger box means more output around tuning so better efficiency, you could try 3 4" ports to save some space.
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 Hmmm... I may be able to reorganize the stuff that i have to keep in my trunk to hopefully get some more usable area. Let me mess around with it this afternoon and ill see if i can get some new dimensions. Triticum, when you say better performance from a larger box what do you mean exactly? Output, Sound Quality, SPL? I guess I should have been more specific when I said "better performance". Like Joe X said, a larger box will get you more output around the tuning frequency. However smaller boxes generally have better sound quality due to less group delay, flatter frequency response, etc. Everything is a trade off. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
GorillaFIngeRs Posted March 25, 2016 Author Report Posted March 25, 2016 If thats the only difference im ok with that. I will still get some measurements later on too just to see if i can get some more room if you think that would be recommended. Also, if a larger box will give me more output at tuning would that mean i would lose some output at the higher hz? AQ3500.115" Fi SP41/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground 1/0 Sky High Big 3 UpgradePioneer AVH-4200NEXXS Power D1200 Underhood Intimidator Gel In Trunk CES 250A Alternator
Joe X Posted March 25, 2016 Report Posted March 25, 2016 Going from slot to round ports won't gain you a lot of space or output around tuning so that you would experience a relative "loss" at higher frequency, you would get something like a somewhat stronger hit around tuning which is nice.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.