Second Skin Audio

Kicker L7 15 box Ive been working on

Finally got time to finish this behemoth up tonight.

Lots of masking tape to prevent overspray from going elsewhere besides in the port.

Masking tape to tape off the outside of the port, speaker and terminal holes as well to prevent spray glue for the carpet from covering the inside of the box.

hPD7p7.jpg

11UkXB.jpg

pB8ll8.jpg

YCMEDH.jpg

UWnPPk.jpg

z53ZCS.jpg

npEhc1.jpg

vZDGtf.jpg

vmNLjo.jpg

vXva4f.jpg

CdJker.jpg

e4XYPL.jpg

mIzP8n.jpg

7xMDcC.jpg

8TmEbX.jpg

Fabulous work!

What do you use for carpet adhesive? I've been trying different stuff but I can't find anything I'm really happy with long-term.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Beautiful work.

Man, all of that work on that brace and it's hidden. Did you just weigh it to calculate displacement?

Thanks

This is the easiest way I found to do it, traditional window bracing is easier since they are straight pieces but I wanted to be different on this box.

Measure the length of the squiggly lines which was 77 inches, then the thickness of it which is 1.5 inches since its double layered, and the width of the squiggly lines which is 1 inch divided by 1728 = 0.066 cubed for just the internal of the brace.

Then again you do the outside edge of the brace which 92.5 inches long when you add up all 4 sides, 1.5 inches thick since its double layered, and 1.5 inches width before the squiggly lines start divided by 1728 = 0.120.

Add both those numbers up 0.066 + 0.120 = 0.186 cubed. So not even 1/4 of a cubic foot displacement.

45 degree corners are the same way.

3 inches wide at their widest point, since FOUR 45s make a square you would do 3 X 3 x 18.75 (their height) divided by 1728 = 0.097 cubic feet for FOUR 45s.

But since I only have THREE 45s of the same size you take that 0.097 divided by 4 = 0.024 cubic feet per 45 corner of displacement.

3 X 0.024 = 0.072 cubic feet of displacement for the THREE 45s that are the same size.

You would do it the same way for the ONE larger 45 by the port, and then divide it by 4 to get the displacement of the single 45.

Fabulous work!

What do you use for carpet adhesive? I've been trying different stuff but I can't find anything I'm really happy with long-term.

Thank you sir!

Means a lot coming from another enclosure builder :D

Dap's Weldwood Landau Top and Trim (in the blue can typically).

I have to order it, and right now I am out of it.

The Dap Weldwood Contact cement in the red can which is what I used on this box.

When I use the red can stuff I spray the glue heavier than normal just to be sure of good adhesion.

I never had an issue with the red can stuff yet for boxes when Im out of the good stuff, but if your carpeting or vinyling something that will be in direct sunlight and hot temperatures the blue can Landau top and trim is a MUST (especially when dealing with vinyl)!!!

Spray glue that comes in aerosol cans is a complete waste of money and time.

First of all the stuff is expensive and cost $7-12 per can and you will typically need a few cans. You can buy the Good Dap Weldwood Landau or even the red can stuff for under $25 per gallon, or 5 gallons of the good Landau for around $120.

You also need to spray it for best results, plus its quicker to spray than roll/brush it on.

I just use a cheap HVLP gun, I always leave it full and the stuff in the spray gun never dries out as long as you use it about once a month or so.

The good stuff for vinyl/carpeting

xJkHw8.jpg

This will get you by in a pinch

Like I said I spray it heavy and never use it for vinyl or anything in direct sunlight.

qZOaFU.jpg

Beautiful work.

Man, all of that work on that brace and it's hidden. Did you just weigh it to calculate displacement?

Thanks

This is the easiest way I found to do it, traditional window bracing is easier since they are straight pieces but I wanted to be different on this box.

Measure the length of the squiggly lines which was 77 inches, then the thickness of it which is 1.5 inches since its double layered, and the width of the squiggly lines which is 1 inch divided by 1728 = 0.066 cubed for just the internal of the brace.

Then again you do the outside edge of the brace which 92.5 inches long when you add up all 4 sides, 1.5 inches thick since its double layered, and 1.5 inches width before the squiggly lines start divided by 1728 = 0.120.

Add both those numbers up 0.066 + 0.120 = 0.186 cubed. So not even 1/4 of a cubic foot displacement.

45 degree corners are the same way.

3 inches wide at their widest point, since FOUR 45s make a square you would do 3 X 3 x 18.75 (their height) divided by 1728 = 0.097 cubic feet for FOUR 45s.

But since I only have THREE 45s of the same size you take that 0.097 divided by 4 = 0.024 cubic feet per 45 corner of displacement.

3 X 0.024 = 0.072 cubic feet of displacement for the THREE 45s that are the same size.

You would do it the same way for the ONE larger 45 by the port, and then divide it by 4 to get the displacement of the single 45.

Would it be as reliable to weigh a piece of known displacement for example a 15" x 15" piece of 1" thick MDF displaces 225ci and you weigh it and get your ounces per cu in and then make your cuts then weigh it again. If the results are the same it might save some time. You've probably thought that through already over the years though.

Not no where near as accurate imo because the spiral flush trim router bit is 1/4inch wide, so every pass it makes its removing a bit of material that will never be accounted for.

So once you cut on each side of the line that is now 1/2 wide by the thickness of the wood 1.5 inches of material that you cant weight and vanished as sawdust ;)

Archived