New Car!! New Build!! What headunit to get?

I had to ditch my plans of buying the Alpine CDE HD 149BT after the recent thread showing it does not have clean output. It took me over a month to decide on that unit and was not looking forward to starting that whole process over again. Gonna check out that Pioneer unit...

Does the Pioneer DEH-80PRS have a black out feature ? Does it have a dimmer function, one that dims with the dash lights ?

Yes to the dimmer function, it's an orange/white wire.

Just checked at.............. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-80PRS_InstallationManual020712.pdf................................. It says to connect orange and white wire to lighting switch terminal. This leads me to believe that it only dims with the headlights on and does not work with the dash light dimmer so you can dim all the way to black out if you want. I also checked the owners manual and found no mention of a black out function. I could have missed it so someone correct me if I am wrong.

yea yea yea I know a black out and or a true dimmer function is not important to a lot of you folks but it is to me. It comes in real handy when driving at night with tired eyes. However its not a deal breaker .

Does the Pioneer DEH-80PRS have a black out feature ? Does it have a dimmer function, one that dims with the dash lights ?

Just checked at.............. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-80PRS_InstallationManual020712.pdf................................. It says to connect orange and white wire to lighting switch terminal. This leads me to believe that it only dims with the headlights on and does not work with the dash light dimmer so you can dim all the way to black out if you want. I also checked the owners manual and found no mention of a black out function. I could have missed it so someone correct me if I am wrong.

yea yea yea I know a black out and or a true dimmer function is not important to a lot of you folks but it is to me. It comes in real handy when driving at night with tired eyes. However its not a deal breaker .

I didn't say anything about black out. And I assumed you meant can it dim when the dash lights come on, not when you adjust their brightness.

The variable screen colors is something that would be helpful to you. set your screen background color to red, it's easier on the eyes in the dark.

Thanks reedal , one of the reasons I asked is that a friend of mine bought a lesser Pioneer HU, at Wally world I think, and it has the black out function. The other reason is I just bought a Alpine 164BT and its very bright even with the dimmer on, it also has no black out or true dimmer function. Seems to me HU manufacturers are getting away from a true dimmer and the black out functions.

Another question I have about the Pioneer 80PRS is if I run the 3 way active ( highs, mid range and mid bass in the front ) can I run a sub also, maybe off the optical deal ?????

The only way to do so, would be to split the signals for the RCAs and control the crossover points with your amplifiers built in crossovers. I'm not sure what optical deal you're talking about, I don't believe the 80prs has any optical out (at least mine doesn't...)

Run a splitter for the mid preout for your mid range and mid bass, and low pass the midbass where you want, high pass the mid range where you want. High preout for the highs, low preout for the sub. I'm working on a 5-way active setup using mine, and have to do the same thing, but I'm using a Scott bowman cockbox (RCA Diesto box) instead of Y-splitters. From there, I'll cross my mids and highs on the amps, using the SMD CC-1 to set the crossovers exactly where I want them. Unfortunately, I will lose the capability of changing the slope of the crossovers, but it will do. One day I may sell the 80prs and buy a Helix DSPpro instead.

I had to ditch my plans of buying the Alpine CDE HD 149BT after the recent thread showing it does not have clean output. It took me over a month to decide on that unit and was not looking forward to starting that whole process over again. Gonna check out that Pioneer unit...

I did the same thing. I wanted the Alpine 149BT but changed my mind after reading that thread. I ended up with a Alpine 164BT out of necessity and I got a really good deal on it. While I am happy with the 164BT ( except for it being too damn bright at night ) after doing a little more research because of this thread it looks like I should have went with the Pioneer 80PRS. If I can figure out a way to run the 3 way active in the front and a sub in the rear with the Pioneer I will be removing the Alpine with a quickness.

Crap, sorry I was wrong, no optical out. I had it confused with something else

Right, I was thinking the same thing about a DSP. Helix Pro, RF 360.3 but for now if I can learn a little with a HU with out the big expense of a DSP then thats the route I am going.

and of course like other said, you can set the display color to purple or blue or whatever you like and it will nice and dark at night. plus you can set the background to none. set the display info to like 3 different settings, one has very little text on it. You can customize the colors as well, so i think you might be able to find a dark enough color it doesnt bother your eyes.

Just tossed min on the bench and it does in fact have a blackout mode, press and hold the EQ button until display off appears and it will shut the display completely off but still be playing. any button or volume adjustment brings the display back up for a dew seconds and then it shuts off again.

20160424_115659_017.jpg

Archived