Sonic Electronix

15 year break... help with SUV setup

First post. I did a good deal of searching. Lurked a good deal and decided I think this is the forum I'll frequent as I'm getting back into the fun.

So, about 15 years ago I had a Range Rover with a Focal Utopia/Zapco/eclipse/ bla bla. It was a great system done right. So I have a gen5 4runner now that I am wanting to do a new build in. I'm running ID chameleon sep up front and a single IDQ8 in a home made fiberglass base with carbon- kevlar finish sub box. Here's my thing: so the 4runner has this "party mode" thing and puts 6.5" speakers in the rear hatch to support it. Well, I purchased 2 sets of coaxils, a 2 channel for the chameleons, and a 5 channel for the back parts/sub. Should I go with that set up or should I just do mid drivers somewhere? I know the speakers in the hatch don't mean much, but I hate to spend the money on the car prep and gear then people in the 3rd row, if I ever use it, not really hear anything or to pop the hatch on a UT football day and go "yeah I should have left it."

Obviously with the IDQ8 pushing about 200 watts and the other parts I'm looking for a tight system not a rattle trap. I've spent as much on sound deadening etc as other gear almost.

Really just asking opinions, sort of open discussion. 7 channels on a aftermarket set up is kinda new to me. I've actually thought of ripping out the 3rd row and putting something useful like... anything... really, but bleh family life and its grand unknowns! lol

Use what you have.

You won't have a lot of bass, but it's not your goal.

If you have one channel of amplification per speaker, you'ze good to go ! Have fun !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

I assume this is all passive...

if you had the capability to go active I'd run the five channel to the mids and highs up front and use the fifth channel for sub. Then use the two channel for the rear fill and have it either on a cut off switch for when its not in use or fade for rear fill if you prefer.

just a thought-

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed response from myself. Only forum that didn't barrage me with reply emails when someone replied. Just expected it I guess.

Anyway, Ive changed things around a bit:

I have a AVH 4100NEX HU, the CX64 v.2 fronts, the 2 sets of ID 6.5 coax, the IDQ8 and I have changed to a 3 amp set up with PPI P600.2 for the front, P900.4 for the rear coaxes, and a P1000.1 for the sub. I think it will allow for better flexibility and upgrades. I'm also considering upgrading to a 10" sub, but space is limited over there.

So the active/passive I'm assuming you mean like a DQDX or whatnot? I would have the room for that, but I'll have to look into that some more. Benefit vs cost and whatnot.

Still browsing through the forum. I have a little bit before the vacation time where I plan on doing the install.

Well, my plan was to turn down the rear speakers until they don't interfere with the front stage too much. That way I could turn them up for tailgating. Realizing quickly I went from 0-60 pretty quickly. Enjoying the process though. Thank you for the tip.

Archived