Second Skin Audio

Would this actually work?

That design certainly is interesting. Whether or not it will work probably depends on your definition of "work".

I have no doubt that it will make noise, however the layout of the ported sections make it unlikely they will perform as Helmholtz resonators (like a regular ported box does). Most likely they are going to function like short transmission lines tuned to around 66 Hz. You are likely to get a peak in output at that frequency and below that the box is going to perform like a regular sealed box.

While it may have more cone area than eight 18's, its not going to have more swept volume due to the relatively low Xmax (16mm) those subs have vs what most 18's have. At frequencies where output is limited by cone excursion the 18's are going to stomp all over that box.

So what determines what frequencies output is limited by cone excursion?

So what determines what frequencies output is limited by cone excursion?

Box tuning and size. Subwoofers have two limiting factors, mechanical travel and heat dissipation. At and around the tuning frequency cone excursion is reduced, so at those frequencies you are generally going to be limited by heat dissipation, but as you get much above or below that frequency cone excursion goes up and the mechanical limits of the sub generally become the limiting factor, up to to a certain point. At higher frequencies cone excursion naturally becomes less and you go back into a heat dissipation limited situation again.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Awesome idea! It might be kind of hard to get the drivers through the 10 inch port to install them. Maybe a 3 piece box would work. I want to hear some bongo drums on it. I would use this for the upper bass and add four 18s for sub bass. I know it sounds crazy but it could slam the high bass and the low bass.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Box tuning and size. Subwoofers have two limiting factors, mechanical travel and heat dissipation. At and around the tuning frequency cone excursion is reduced, so at those frequencies you are generally going to be limited by heat dissipation, but as you get much above or below that frequency cone excursion goes up and the mechanical limits of the sub generally become the limiting factor, up to to a certain point. At higher frequencies cone excursion naturally becomes less and you go back into a heat dissipation limited situation again.

Oh ok, that makes sense and I don't know why I asked that because I already knew it but thanks for the response anyways. Must have just accidentally confused myself.

Archived