Second Skin Audio

Help! 4th Order Build

I think I'll do the bandpass box. I'm OK with the loss in bandwidth as long as I can get the efficiency that I've been seeing. And if the bandpass doesn't suit my needs then I'll redesign a ported box when I've got the money.

So here's the big question. Can I do my box 2cuft to 4cuft (like the diagram), what should I tune it too and can I get 20hz at that tuning? I really want to put my HP filters to 20hz. And where should I put my LP filters?

These questions sound really newbish but this is the only way I can get an answer.

2001 Tahoe

No system. Not even aftermarket headunit.

Actually, now that I'm looking at a program myself (winsid) I can't decide whether to go for this bandpass build or make a ~6cuft ported box tuned to 25hz.

I'll wait until one of y'all reapond to make any decisions.

2001 Tahoe

Is efficiency your main goal with a new enclosure?

Efficiency and SPL. And 20hz.

Your best solution would be to build a ported box and tune it low, like 24 hz then.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Is efficiency your main goal with a new enclosure?

Efficiency and SPL. And 20hz.

Your best solution would be to build a ported box and tune it low, like 24 hz then.

That's what I was thinking also. I think I'm going to that route.

Thank you everyone on helping me with this. It has tought me a lot about 4th Order builds.

2001 Tahoe

Actually, now that I'm looking at a program myself (winsid) I can't decide whether to go for this bandpass build or make a ~6cuft ported box tuned to 25hz.

I'll wait until one of y'all respond to make any decisions.

Well if you did 3 cf per driver you'd go over 20mm excursion, as for tuning that low could make you less loud and some people experience weaker higher bass.

You see it's maybe that your current box is flawed, low port area could alone be enough to kill your low end.

I'll wait until one of y'all respond to make any decisions.

Well if you did 3 cf per driver you'd go over 20mm excursion, as for tuning that low could make you less loud and some people experience weaker higher bass.

You see it's maybe that your current box is flawed, low port area could alone be enough to kill your low end.

My port area is to manufacturer specs, but its tuned to 35hz. And RE said that the excursion is 28mm instead of 20mm because they underated there specs on the main website.

*edit*

Nevermind. No idea what I meant by port area.

2001 Tahoe

Port area is the cross-sectional area of the port, say if your port is 5 tall and 5 wide your cross- sectional area would be 25 square inches, if you use a 4" round port it would be about 12.5 square inches, if that sub is really 28mm xmax you would need about 30-35 square inches of port area per driver. Regardless I agree that tuning is too high for your application.

Archived