Second Skin Audio

Need your guys opinion on my new sub

Basically for my home cinema I am chucking in a pioneer TS-W304R with a 200w amp (amp gets a lot more powerful when cranked up) but I just wanted to see if you guys could do some myth busting for me, any feedback appreciated.

1. Aparently the reviews on Amazon say this sub is very prone to breaking but I believe that's because it's off amazon , probably some counterfeit subwoofer (I'm getting mine from a proper car audio store)

2. This sub has a 95dB sensitivity and aparently that makes it heaps louder and more efficient when lower watts put into it

3. This speaker has a 4.7mm xmax, does that mean it is very punchy bass or should it ring out and be really chest thumping? supposedly pioneer have low xmax to reduce distortion and make the speaker more efficient. Keeping in mind I want chest thumping bass, with my windows raddling like crazy , I love hard hitting lows. I have a decent enclosure (ported) and will this satisfy my needs?

Half the reviews say this is SQ half say this is SPL. quite neutral at the moment and any feedback appreciated.

Thanks Smd!

If you're looking for chest thumping bass that really hits the lows, I would probably go with a more powerful sub. Also, I would be careful with using car audio subs as HT subs as they are not always one in the same. Also, what is you ported box tuned to?

Boy...where to start.

1. That sub is going to perform VERY poorly for home audio use. It not a very good sub in general compared to what else you can get for that price.

2. Sub sensitivity measurements mean pretty much nothing. There isn't a standardized power level to measure them at and they are generally done in free air and a 1 khz.

3. Xmax has very little to do with a sub sounding "punchy" or "chest thumping". That sub isn't appropriate for ported box usage, particularly for home audio.

A good sub in that price range would be an Infinity 1260W. They aren't being made any more and are getting hard to find though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Boy...where to start.

1. That sub is going to perform VERY poorly for home audio use. It not a very good sub in general compared to what else you can get for that price.

2. Sub sensitivity measurements mean pretty much nothing. There isn't a standardized power level to measure them at and they are generally done in free air and a 1 khz.

3. Xmax has very little to do with a sub sounding "punchy" or "chest thumping". That sub isn't appropriate for ported box usage, particularly for home audio.

A good sub in that price range would be an Infinity 1260W. They aren't being made any more and are getting hard to find though.

35 Hz 45L, well I see the points you make. However I only have this 150w amp and can only afford a new speaker and enclosure, I have a 300 dollar max budget and a 4 ohm amplifier , I live in sydney and the shop that has the best subwoofers is ryda.com and I'm scared if I get a 300w sub or 400w sub it will be underpowered

What do you recommend I do? The amp can get pretty powerful in comparison to its rms at full volume but I'm not sure , I got 300$ for a new sub , 100 is on th enclosure on ready and I just need something to thump my chest, thanks!

Also I'm not too bothered about decent sound quality, bass head > audiophile FOR ME :)

If you're looking for chest thumping bass that really hits the lows, I would probably go with a more powerful sub. Also, I would be careful with using car audio subs as HT subs as they are not always one in the same. Also, what is you ported box tuned to?

I have a Logitech z5500 that's 200w rms and at full blast is one loud mofo , but I just crave more and more bass. What should I do? I only have a 150w amp but max I have no idea how powerful it is but it gets heaps more at full blast

I have a Logitech z5500 that's 200w rms and at full blast is one loud mofo , but I just crave more and more bass. What should I do? I only have a 150w amp but max I have no idea how powerful it is but it gets heaps more at full blast

What amp is it?

What amp is it?
A home cinema plate amp, it's from Jaycar I looks everywhere for so a but couldn't find . It's just like a normal home cinema amp

Archived