Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

'98 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Box Design


DLHgn

Recommended Posts

Posted

I would put the rod straight through the bracing as well to keep them from wanting to move.

Would that really add any extra strength though?

Posted

I would put the rod straight through the bracing as well to keep them from wanting to move.

Would that really add any extra strength though?

It's really just a little extra insurance, there are a lot of harmonic frequencies that can go on inside a box, it would just keep those wood braces from turning into guitar strings if you ever hit just the right frequency.

Posted

It's really just a little extra insurance, there are a lot of harmonic frequencies that can go on inside a box, it would just keep those wood braces from turning into guitar strings if you ever hit just the right frequency.

I'll read around and ask around to get a second opinion then decide what to do about that. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it!

Posted

It's really just a little extra insurance, there are a lot of harmonic frequencies that can go on inside a box, it would just keep those wood braces from turning into guitar strings if you ever hit just the right frequency.

I'll read around and ask around to get a second opinion then decide what to do about that. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it!

No problem, ask Titicum for his input tomorrow, he's one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to enclosures, he'll help you out.

Posted

It's really just a little extra insurance, there are a lot of harmonic frequencies that can go on inside a box, it would just keep those wood braces from turning into guitar strings if you ever hit just the right frequency.

I'll read around and ask around to get a second opinion then decide what to do about that. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it!

No problem, ask Titicum for his input tomorrow, he's one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to enclosures, he'll help you out.

I'm always ready for the knowledge he bestows upon me lol

Posted

I think it looks fine. If you were worried about it you could notch the braces so they are interlocking.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I think it looks fine. If you were worried about it you could notch the braces so they are interlocking.

So the design with the metal bracing going from top to bottom or the one with all wood? Also, what do you mean by notch the bracing?

Posted

I think it looks fine. If you were worried about it you could notch the braces so they are interlocking.

So the design with the metal bracing going from top to bottom or the one with all wood? Also, what do you mean by notch the bracing?

DvvMPfv.png

Like the one the right, instead of what you have on the left.

Personally, I'm not a fan of threaded rod for bracing. It is only strong in tension and not compression, it sticks out from the sides of the box and looks ugly (IMHO), and it can be the source of box leaks.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I think it looks fine. If you were worried about it you could notch the braces so they are interlocking.

So the design with the metal bracing going from top to bottom or the one with all wood? Also, what do you mean by notch the bracing?

DvvMPfv.png

Like the one the right, instead of what you have on the left.

Personally, I'm not a fan of threaded rod for bracing. It is only strong in tension and not compression, it sticks out from the sides of the box and looks ugly (IMHO), and it can be the source of box leaks.

So, using just strips of wood. Would you suggest the left or right image?

Posted

Right.

The one on the right will shift the vertical brace to the left, which should get it out from right behind the sub.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3135 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...