Second Skin Audio

Let's try again. Durability and resilience

I have sold my car recently and purchased a truck due to my new job. And I can't stand not having a sub. I want a modest amount of bass but don't need to thump like my old car. So I was looking for a single entry level 12" sub at 4ohms.

Orion xtr

Orion cobalt

Skar ix

Rockford p2

All these are about 50$USD / 80$CAD

I seen these and I know there all trusted brands which gives some confidence; in the same price point, same wattage, sensitivity, ect however how do I find out the durability?

I am up near Arctic. On the east coast of Canada and I can't go to a store if something breaks so I want something to last through my -40°c winters and extreme moisture. It will be used all year round

Subs= SoundQubed HDC3.112 Amps= Audio Technix1200.1, Sony XM4x40 & Clarion XC1410 Rear= Pioneer 6"x9" coaxial Front= Polk 6 1/4 componants Trunk Lid= Pioneer 6 1/4 coaxil Battery= Optima Yellow-top (front) Shrunken 35AH Wire= 0/2 AWG welding Cable! Alternator= 125amps Extra= Continuous duty solenoid

Please?

Subs= SoundQubed HDC3.112 Amps= Audio Technix1200.1, Sony XM4x40 & Clarion XC1410 Rear= Pioneer 6"x9" coaxial Front= Polk 6 1/4 componants Trunk Lid= Pioneer 6 1/4 coaxil Battery= Optima Yellow-top (front) Shrunken 35AH Wire= 0/2 AWG welding Cable! Alternator= 125amps Extra= Continuous duty solenoid

Sorry, everyone is still in bed. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

FYI, I wouldn't be playing any sub when its below 0 temperatures until the cabin warmed up. I don't know about the specific subs you are looking at, but many in that price range have poly (plastic) cones which get brittle at cold temperatures, also the surrounds get stiff and can be more prone to tearing. Temperatures as low as you are talking about are just hard on stuff, but as long as you don't play it until things warm up you should be fine.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Well the one is pressed paper. And I understand what your saying about the cabin heating up. I'm talking about freezing then unfreezing repetitively every time I wish to use it and drive anywhere, i can't replace something. And I'm wondering what's stronger. Would pressed paper have better life.

I have played my Eclipse aluminum coned subwoofer in extreme low temps here in Montana during the winter (-40 farhenheit) and it suffered no damage. I didn't realize I was risking damaging my sub. That sub has a rubber surround and all aluminum construction, which apparently resists freezing. I hope this helps...

Well the one is pressed paper. And I understand what your saying about the cabin heating up. I'm talking about freezing then unfreezing repetitively every time I wish to use it and drive anywhere, i can't replace something. And I'm wondering what's stronger. Would pressed paper have better life.

I would think pressed paper would be better in extreme temperatures than poly would, but it would be less moisture resistant. If I were to pick between the two though I'd prefer the pressed paper.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thank you, I know it's a hard and weird question to answer

Archived