fiber optic

The rsx-gs9? Pretty cool lookin, but its single-din. That one also doesnt play cds.

What's a CD?

Really though, rip them to FLACs and put them on a USB stick. Or put in a carputer or iPad or something with all the music on it. Too much trouble having CDs shuffling around getting scratched up, and skipping with the bass.

No point in that headunit unless you are going to be putting some real premium shit in and will make use of the DSD capability. I think I have like 2 DSD albums? I'd be willing to bet that of those who have even heard of DSD, very few actually have any. It's no different to a good FLAC anyway.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

The rsx-gs9? Pretty cool lookin, but its single-din. That one also doesnt play cds.

What's a CD?

Really though, rip them to FLACs and put them on a USB stick. Or put in a carputer or iPad or something with all the music on it. Too much trouble having CDs shuffling around getting scratched up, and skipping with the bass.

No point in that headunit unless you are going to be putting some real premium shit in and will make use of the DSD capability. I think I have like 2 DSD albums? I'd be willing to bet that of those who have even heard of DSD, very few actually have any. It's no different to a good FLAC anyway.

Lol i know huh. There is only one store that sells cds here. All the other places closed long time ago. I was just letting the OP know about that HU that the other person suggested. The only reason i want CD on mine still, is for comparison within my own system. Right now im looking into that clarion nx706. On paper everything looks awesome, but someone on here was saying reviews say it has programming laggy issues or something.

Lol i know huh. There is only one store that sells cds here. All the other places closed long time ago. I was just letting the OP know about that HU that the other person suggested. The only reason i want CD on mine still, is for comparison within my own system. Right now im looking into that clarion nx706. On paper everything looks awesome, but someone on here was saying reviews say it has programming laggy issues or something.

CD for comparison with what? Your home system? A FLAC rip of the CD is identical to the CD. Despite what you might see in audiophile publications there isn't a difference, that's the glory of ("lossless") digital.

I've never used one but I know what they mean by the laggy UI thing. I got a Kenwood VD-01M that's got a bit of a slow UI, but it is from 15 years ago. It's just with the animations on some of the menus, it can play video perfectly fine. Trying to generate animated menus on 2001 hardware that has to fit in such a small package probably wasn't the best idea, but we'll look back and laugh at today's stuff in 2030.

I guess if you are going to be scrolling through songs and stuff and it's being laggy it'll be a pain. If you can go try it out for yourself and see then you'll know for sure what it's like. There's tons on double dins, surely there's others in the same price range that are fine?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

CD for comparison with what? Your home system? A FLAC rip of the CD is identical to the CD. Despite what you might see in audiophile publications there isn't a difference, that's the glory of ("lossless") digital.

I've never used one but I know what they mean by the laggy UI thing. I got a Kenwood VD-01M that's got a bit of a slow UI, but it is from 15 years ago. It's just with the animations on some of the menus, it can play video perfectly fine. Trying to generate animated menus on 2001 hardware that has to fit in such a small package probably wasn't the best idea, but we'll look back and laugh at today's stuff in 2030.

I guess if you are going to be scrolling through songs and stuff and it's being laggy it'll be a pain. If you can go try it out for yourself and see then you'll know for sure what it's like. There's tons on double dins, surely there's others in the same price range that are fine?

Lol not to compare a cd with a copy of the cd lmao. Thats obviously gonna be equal quality to the orginal cd or have less quality than the original. I wanted to listen to a orginal cd then listen to the same track when its downloaded from a high resolution site like HDTracks or those other rediculous high resolution download sites. I wanna see the difference for myself, with my own system playing both so its an equal comparison.

Damn, 2001? Was it a Double-din 8-track player? Lol jk.

Also there arent many double dins with optical output. Thats what this topic is about. OP was looking for doubledin HU with optical out. Ive only heard of a couple.

Lol not to compare a cd with a copy of the cd lmao. Thats obviously gonna be equal quality to the orginal cd or have less quality than the original. I wanted to listen to a orginal cd then listen to the same track when its downloaded from a high resolution site like HDTracks or those other rediculous high resolution download sites. I wanna see the difference for myself, with my own system playing both so its an equal comparison.

A car is not the place to make such comparisons. Many would say that there isn't any difference no matter how much your system costs, and I have a friend who swear by his vinyl over anything else cause "no matter how good the digital version is it always sounds digital".

I'm quite happy with CD, I'm not even convinced there is any point in anything higher, but I always go for the best copy I can can get cause why not?

What makes a true difference when it comes to the music itself, is the quality of recording. It doesn't matter how skilled the musicians/singer are if the meathead at the mastering table compresses until it has the dynamic range of a test tone. A well mastered, dynamic recording is hard to come by these days, but are kinda wasted in a car anyway.

But be my guest if you want to drive around listening to Halie Loren or Diana Krall, just don't expect any street cred :P

6.5" touchscreen flipout with DVD, it's got a page on the Kenwood site, was 230000 yen in its day apparently, and an extra 42000 yen for the DTS/Dolby decoder. Got it from a friends shop from his collection radios pulled out of imports. Not sure why anyone would want to swap it out for some entry level new one, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A car is not the place to make such comparisons. Many would say that there isn't any difference no matter how much your system costs, and I have a friend who swear by his vinyl over anything else cause "no matter how good the digital version is it always sounds digital".

I'm quite happy with CD, I'm not even convinced there is any point in anything higher, but I always go for the best copy I can can get cause why not?

What makes a true difference when it comes to the music itself, is the quality of recording. It doesn't matter how skilled the musicians/singer are if the meathead at the mastering table compresses until it has the dynamic range of a test tone. A well mastered, dynamic recording is hard to come by these days, but are kinda wasted in a car anyway.

But be my guest if you want to drive around listening to Halie Loren or Diana Krall, just don't expect any street cred :P

6.5" touchscreen flipout with DVD, it's got a page on the Kenwood site, was 230000 yen in its day apparently, and an extra 42000 yen for the DTS/Dolby decoder. Got it from a friends shop from his collection radios pulled out of imports. Not sure why anyone would want to swap it out for some entry level new one, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well lets hope soon the quality of regular recordings step up. Till then, just knowing my system "can" play the highest quality stuff is satisfying. I think id be able to tell a difference in a car. With the same song same volume, everything exactly the same, only difference being one is cd one is a digital file. But ill find out one day soon lol. Soon as i can make a decision on equipment i want.

Archived