Second Skin Audio

First ported enclosure build need some help.. Sundown x6.5's

Ams715

Sup dudes (and dudettes..?), new guy here and I could use some help on my first ported enclosure build. So as you guys have I'm sure heard sundowns new x6.5's (v2?) are gonna be released soon given they pass qc testing. So I've decided I'd like to build a center console enclosure for my pickup but as it's the first ported enclosure I'll be building I'm havin a hard time wrapping my head around the numbers involved in doing so.

I've downloaded winisd and sketchup but all the numbers I see on there are complete gibberish to me. Seems like no matter what I input in winisd the air velocity is either off the charts (150+fp/s) or ridiculously low (5fp/s) and in order to correct this I have to have an unrealistically long port length that would be impossible to fit in the intended enclosure..

Soooo, if you guys could help me out with some number crunching it would be greatly appreciated. All I really need to know is:

1.) how much volume, including port volume, the enclosure needs to be. So if sundown recommends .3ft^3 per sub, I'd need .6^3 for two plus X (?) amount for the port.

2.) given I have 6.5" width available for my port, how long and tall does it need to be to tune to 32-35 hz (whichever is best for daily) given whatever volume is given in question 1?

I've been using sundowns specs straight from their website. Also I'll be using either a hifonics brutus brz1200.1 or a kenwood 5001ps to power them, whichever you guys recommend be better.

I have loads of questions I'd like to know the answer for but arm I'd just like to keep it simple with straight forward build it with these numbers answers. Lol. Baby steps ya know. My brain has a hard time understanding this stuff but it intrigues me quite a bit. Anyways, sorry for the rather long post. I appreciate you guys takin the time to help a dude out. ?????

Ok I MIGHT have figured this out. If I build a ~1.1 cubic foot box, and have port dimensions of 2.5 x 6.5 x ~36 I should end up with a net volume around ~.65 tuned to 32 hz. Port cross area will end up at around 16in^2 though, not sure if that will be ok as sundown recommends 4in^2 per sub....? With those dimensions air port velocity should be right around 85-6 ft/s peak which I believe is good from what I've read.

Can anybody double check these numbers for me por favor?

interesting thread. The new SSA evil 6.5's are .65cu tuned to 51

I'm follow for design

interesting thread. The new SSA evil 6.5's are .65cu tuned to 51

I'm follow for design

Those are also mid bass drivers. Sundowns are designed as a true sub. must have something to do with tuning frequency...? I picked up a set of massive audio's summo 64's a little while back that required a larger enclosure then the sundowns at same frequency though so who knows....(not me that's for sure lol)....

That port velocity seems really high.

Really? I thought under 100ft/s was safe?? Been searching for and "ideal" port velocity on the forums and have came up empty. Closest thing I've found is someone mentioning they stay under 30m/s when using winisd, which I'm under and I'm also using winisd.

Side note, for those of you that do use winisd and you're calculating your port size, do you guys enter the subs gross volume or net volume in the box that asks for the enclosure volume??

Really? I thought under 100ft/s was safe?? Been searching for and "ideal" port velocity on the forums and have came up empty. Closest thing I've found is someone mentioning they stay under 30m/s when using winisd, which I'm under and I'm also using winisd.

Side note, for those of you that do use winisd and you're calculating your port size, do you guys enter the subs gross volume or net volume in the box that asks for the enclosure volume??

Under 30 m/sec is good, under 22 m/sec is even better, but can be difficult to accomplish.

Net volume is the measurement that matters, that's what you want to be putting into any simulation software.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Under 30 m/sec is good, under 22 m/sec is even better, but can be difficult to accomplish.

Net volume is the measurement that matters, that's what you want to be putting into any simulation software.

So I should be in the clear then because I believe my velocity in m/sec was around 25-27 if I remember correctly.

On a side note, the hifonics amp showed up today...got a little bit of a question for you guys....so I thought I ordered the hifonics Brutus 1200.1........but what I received in the mail is a hifonics Samson 2500.1......so if I wire the subs up to a 4 ohm final impedance, will 425watts rms each be too much for them? If I've read correctly it's ok to over power subs a bit as long as you stay on the smaller end of an enclosure, which I'm assuming I am as I'm keepin the box as close to sundowns specs as possible, but how much would be too much? Especially for being smaller at 6.5"...

Subs showed up this Thursday! Unfortunately I don't know wtf I was thinking these were dvc. Got caught up lookin at so many dif sub options and had it in my head they were dual 4's. So the hifonics amp def won't work as it'll be feeding these like 850 rms each. Sooooo gonna try to either return this Samson or sell it and buy a dif one. Probably lose money on the latter of the two options though. ??

sooooo in the mean time I'm gonna practice building a "simple" ported box for the two summo 64's I have and hopefully next weekend I'll be workin on my center console enclosure for these two little monsters. t2801CCA5-2100-4054-A75E-AF01367AF089.jpg

Archived