Sonic Electronix

Blown Sub's? Power Issue? Please help

I am running 2 RE Sexv2 12d4's on a single Cadence Ultrashock A7HC. I am running 2/0 wire from the stock battery to a 2 ferrad cap, and then to a distribution block. I have 4 awg wire from that to my amplifiers and line driver. I have the stock 80A alternator on the car.

I've been noticing for the last couple weeks that my sub's aren't kicking as hard as they usually do. I play them at what I believe is RMS (because I have a gain knob, not bass knob), and it never gets any louder than RMS. And now its getting quieter. I bought the sub's used. The epoxy on the coils were burned and the tinsel leads on one of the sub's were bad. I was able to fix the tinsel lead issue and both sub's work. When I play them for extended periods of time both my amp and sub's get really hot (my amp sometimes so hot it goes into protection. It hurts to touch it.) My lights also dim even with the cap.

So, my issue is that I don't know whether to get new sub's, get an alternator, get a 500A battery, or all three. I was planning on using a spair A7HC with one of the sub's so that each have their own sub. An alternator for my car that is 200A at idle would cost me $400, and don't know if getting just a battery would remedy the issue. Please help.

2001 Tahoe

No system. Not even aftermarket headunit.

Replace cap with an agm batt. Replace front batt with agm. Upgrade alt. Do big 3. Make sure u have good solid grounds. And set your gains properly on your amp or amps.

When you can smell the coils, its time to turn it down.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

My grounds are good. Still using 2/0 wire. And for my cap, directly to the car and to a distribution block to the amps.

There is no smell from my sub's or amp and I'm not clipping. What's an Agm battery?

2001 Tahoe

No system. Not even aftermarket headunit.

With the electrical system you have, there is no way that you were not clipping. What's an AGM? A battery. Do a search and read about what it takes to run that kind of power. And then read some more.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Agm is a type of battery. Some well known brands are xspower, kinetik, and juicebox. Optima yellow tops and red tops are agm too. There are lots of brands. They are better for car audio applications than a standard lead acid batt.

Archived