Second Skin Audio

Is this enclosure to big?

SpydreX

I was getting ready to build my box soon for two 18" Sundown Xs on a Twisted Sounds 3.5k and then had second thoughts about my design because of how big it is. The box will be 14.17ft^3 net airspace with two 6" aeroports "still undecided if this is enough port but velocity is under 72m/s WinISd says" Sundowns website recommends to have 7ft^3 for each woofer but when I take into account the power I will be applying to them will that be to much? I would hate to run into mechanical failure so should I stick with a smaller enclosure size since I am feeding them well over rated or will they be fine? Subs firing up and ports firing into cabin if that matters at all.

You should be under 35 m/sec for port velocities. so you don't have near enough port.

Ill let others with experience with the subs chime in on box box size.

Even though I am running aeroports? Well if you say so, good thing I asked because I'd hate to waste money on two 6"s when I should probably get two 8"s. If I have to I will switch to a slot port.

yeah that velocity needs to be between 25-30 m/s, you should probably consider adding 4 more 6" aero ports

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

You should be fine for net volume, but like others have said you are significantly short on port area.

With one or two large aero ports you can get away with around 15% less port area than a slot port would have, but that's about it. There really is no disadvantage to having more port area other than it takes up more space.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You should be fine for net volume, but like others have said you are significantly short on port area.

With one or two large aero ports you can get away with around 15% less port area than a slot port would have, but that's about it. There really is no disadvantage to having more port area other than it takes up more space.

Alright thanks for the help, I will add more port then. When it comes to pressurizing a cabin "A.K.A hair tricks, shirt tricks" would you recommend slot or aeros because I have heard from different people that aeros are better for pressure and then others saying slots are better.

When properly sized and implemented there should be no difference in performance between slot and aero ports. I would base your decision on which to use on which one can be more easily implemented with your enclosure.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived