Second Skin Audio

90° or 180°?

Knocker

On a ported box how much noise the cone makes don't mean shit. You should be putting the mic over the port. That and the table salt idea works as well.

Putting the mic over the cone is how I do it. You get a very pronounced dip in output coming from the cone at tuning. Putting the mic over the port gives a broad hump in output, its harder to tell where the tuning frequency is.

The salt idea is the quickest and easiest though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On a ported box how much noise the cone makes don't mean shit. You should be putting the mic over the port. That and the table salt idea works as well.

Putting the mic over the cone is how I do it. You get a very pronounced dip in output coming from the cone at tuning. Putting the mic over the port gives a broad hump in output, its harder to tell where the tuning frequency is.

Huh, I guess I never thought about measuring the drop instead of the rise, makes sense tho. Guess i've spoiled myself with a term lab for too long lol

And what exactly are you attempting to test? If you wanna check the box tuning just sprinkle a little table salt on your cone and then do sweeps. The frequency where the cone moves the least is your tuning point.

I did do the salt thing last week and it worked great, but it seemed like the smaller particles were getting stuck in the carbon fiber of the dustcap and I was afraid it was gonna work it's way through to the voice coil. The microphone over the cone idea I got from Triticum. I did try putting the mic in the port but the readings were all over the place. I also tried ground up pieces of packing foam instead of salt and that worked just ok. Since all of you suggested it I will try the salt thing again on my next test.

Instead of salt I just use some sawdust, which I have seem to have in abundance in my woodshop.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived