Knocker Posted September 2, 2016 Report Posted September 2, 2016 Due to this being my first ported enclosure the box ended up being tuned much higher than I expected (37 hz). I ended up having to make the port turn 90° and run along the back wall. Now the port is 31 inches long (32 hz) but it runs up to the edge of the speaker cutout. Is it bad to have the port blowing against the side/edge of my Mayhem 18 at high power? If so I can make the port turn 180°. Is a 180° turn a big deal? Box is 38.75w×21h×22d with 93.75 inches of port area and about a half a cube of 2×4 bracing. Amp is a BC 5500 (turned down of course) with strong electrical.
Wasteland_Audio Posted September 2, 2016 Report Posted September 2, 2016 As long as you don't have a flat surface directly behind a portion your cone you should be fine. From looking at the pics you posted there really shouldn't be any problems. It won't be as loud as it could be just due to the fact that your sub is so close to the port but it won't hurt the sub in any way.
ShadeTreeMechanic Posted September 2, 2016 Report Posted September 2, 2016 Ideally you would want the port entrance to be at least a port width away from anything. Yours should be ok I would think. 91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco) 250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon) G65 AGM Up Front / Two G31 AGM in Back Pioneer 80PRS CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon) Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)
Knocker Posted September 2, 2016 Author Report Posted September 2, 2016 As long as you don't have a flat surface directly behind a portion your cone you should be fine. From looking at the pics you posted there really shouldn't be any problems. It won't be as loud as it could be just due to the fact that your sub is so close to the port but it won't hurt the sub in any way. Ok so what if I made the port turn 180° instead and eliminated the issue of the speaker being close to the port mouth. Would it be louder? Does a 180 hurt performance or just reduce efficiency a little bit?
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 2, 2016 Report Posted September 2, 2016 I'd avoid 180 degree turn if possible. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Wasteland_Audio Posted September 2, 2016 Report Posted September 2, 2016 I'd avoid 180 degree turn if possible. ^^^ I second this. The less bends in your port the better. It would likely hurt performance to do a 180 instead of the 90 you have now.
dolarbilz Posted September 2, 2016 Report Posted September 2, 2016 I would have tried that 37hz box thing would probably hammer lol since it's your 1st try can always rebuild it.
Knocker Posted September 2, 2016 Author Report Posted September 2, 2016 I'd avoid 180 degree turn if possible.^^^ I second this. The less bends in your port the better. It would likely hurt performance to do a 180 instead of the 90 you have now.Ok in that case I won't do a 180°. Thank you. I looked for info on that and couldn't get a solid answer. Just arguments about fluid dynamics. I think I'm gonna try removing some 2×4 material to increase internal volume then cut back the port a little bit.
Knocker Posted September 2, 2016 Author Report Posted September 2, 2016 Super amateur testing equipment.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.