Superspyer Posted September 5, 2016 Report Posted September 5, 2016 Hello gang! I am looking for a solution for a wiring problem that exists with my 2009 chevy traverse. Theses models have a common problem where if it rains the radio stops working until it drys out. This is a modular design with a non weather tight seal. Unsure why the chevy engineers thought this was a good idea but anyway. I am going to upgrade the entire sound system in this vehicle and I am not interested in using stock wiring. what are my options?
bassl0va Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 Where does the water get in? My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.
Lbox88 Posted September 14, 2016 Report Posted September 14, 2016 If it's anything like my 2009 equinox, which it should be, there should be a black rubber boot on it. If the wiring and the white plug thing that connects to the pillar is exposed, someone at some point cut the boot off. Pictures will help. UBL | Build Log
Superspyer Posted September 16, 2016 Author Report Posted September 16, 2016 I will get some pics up asap. It does not have a boot it has a quick disconnect style connector.
Superspyer Posted September 18, 2016 Author Report Posted September 18, 2016 added a photo. I am unsure where the water intrusion point is honestly. I am ready to do a complete upgrade just would like a work around this connector. Ideas?
bassl0va Posted September 19, 2016 Report Posted September 19, 2016 Try find some boots that'd fit and install them above/below if there is room My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.
Ahmed Johnson Posted September 19, 2016 Report Posted September 19, 2016 I had water leaking in my truck from that boot. It took me a while to figure out and the boot is fucked. I used the black sealant for a water pump to cover it up and it's been fine
Superspyer Posted September 20, 2016 Author Report Posted September 20, 2016 I had water leaking in my truck from that boot. It took me a while to figure out and the boot is fucked. I used the black sealant for a water pump to cover it up and it's been fine I have tried with zero success to figure out why or where the water intrusion is coming from. After a day or 2 of no rain all the speakers work. Rain and then they dont work. The power windows work when speakers dont so maybe a voltage thing? Power window motor draws more power and works thru it? I personally would just like to find a solution to run a dedicated speaker wire to new components.
bassl0va Posted September 21, 2016 Report Posted September 21, 2016 if there's room, install a traditional boot above or below the current one. Might have to take the door off to drill the holes but the stupid modular connector makes that easy haha. My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.