Okay, so I'm going to walk you guys through my use of the dd1 so you guys have all the info. I'm using a DC Audio 5k and I set the gain up using the -5db 40hz track. My head unit is the kenwood KDCx-599 and I know the low signal side doesn't distort all the way up to volume level 35, so that's what I have my head unit volume set to while using the dd1.

As far as electrical goes, I have a d6500 in the front and a shuriken Sk-bt85 batt in the back. Singer 240A alt is in place of the factory one.

My question is this. When setting the gain with the DD1, you hook up the dd1 (+) probe to the speaker positive at the amplifier and hook the dd1 negative clamp to the amplifiers main ground. So what I assume that tells me is that it's reading the distortion of the signal AFTER the signal from the radio has been amplified, right? Because if that is indeed the case, I'm curious if I drop more money into batteries, let's say 3 XS XP3000s to replace what I have in the back currently...would that allow me to turn the gain up higher on the amp using the same exact method as I said above? Because the way I understand it is that distortion is a direct result of inefficiency. So if my amp is working less hard, shouldn't I be able to push it a little harder?

By the way, a little disclaimer...I claim to know NOTHING about this. I am trying to learn and test my own knowledge so I can have a better understanding of how to use these amazing tools as effectively as possible. I really appreciate anyone who made it this far to the end, thanks for your time. Any help would also be greatly appreciated.

I don't claim to know how to solve anything, I just practice the basics. There is nothing worse than wasting hours over a problem that should have taken 5 mins. Anything I post and claim to know, I know simply because of a lesson learned from a mistake on my part.

Amplifiers are not really my area of expertise, but here is my understanding. Adding more batteries will NOT allow you to turn your gain up any higher. It will just allow you to maintain the same level of output for a longer duration (with less voltage drop).

The reason is amplifiers have a maximum voltage they can put out (which is produced by the power supply section of the amp board). Once the output voltage reaches that max voltage this is when they start to clip. Adding batteries will not increase that max voltage, so you won't be able to push your amp any harder, it will just allow you to draw more current for longer.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Amplifiers are not really my area of expertise, but here is my understanding. Adding more batteries will NOT allow you to turn your gain up any higher. It will just allow you to maintain the same level of output for a longer duration (with less voltage drop).

The reason is amplifiers have a maximum voltage they can put out (which is produced by the power supply section of the amp board). Once the output voltage reaches that max voltage this is when they start to clip. Adding batteries will not increase that max voltage, so you won't be able to push your amp any harder, it will just allow you to draw more current for longer.

Such a good explaination, I completely understand now. Thank you for the help.

I don't claim to know how to solve anything, I just practice the basics. There is nothing worse than wasting hours over a problem that should have taken 5 mins. Anything I post and claim to know, I know simply because of a lesson learned from a mistake on my part.