Second Skin Audio

Down firing sub

MrSevs

I am looking at changing some things up so I can utilize the third row in my Armada. With that being said, I was curious if anyone has any experience or can help with down firing a sub. My initial thought was to go sub up and port up in the rear cargo area but I would like other options as my space is limited. If I were to go with a down firing set up... would I also fire my port down or to the side?

This would be for a single 15...

I am looking at changing some things up so I can utilize the third row in my Armada. With that being said, I was curious if anyone has any experience or can help with down firing a sub. My initial thought was to go sub up and port up in the rear cargo area but I would like other options as my space is limited. If I were to go with a down firing set up... would I also fire my port down or to the side?

you can down fire the sub and have the port back, that should work out fine. I assume you want to down fire in order to protect the sub from cargo. the rule i remember about facing a sub against a surface is to have it be at least half its diameter from the nearest obstruction. so it being for a 15, youd want to be at least 7.5" from the floor. now the bit i cant remember is where that distance is measured from, the outer edge or center of the cone. center of cone will be a lot easier because itll bring that gap height down. hopefully someone can clarify or let me know if that rule is total bs

you can down fire the sub and have the port back, that should work out fine. I assume you want to down fire in order to protect the sub from cargo. the rule i remember about facing a sub against a surface is to have it be at least half its diameter from the nearest obstruction. so it being for a 15, youd want to be at least 7.5" from the floor. now the bit i cant remember is where that distance is measured from, the outer edge or center of the cone. center of cone will be a lot easier because itll bring that gap height down. hopefully someone can clarify or let me know if that rule is total bs

Thanks for that bit of info... I was also curious about that as well.

Thanks for that bit of info... I was also curious about that as well.

no problem, hopefully im not off my rocker and its an actual thing lol

This is a situation where there is what's "ideal" and then there is what you can get away with. I would want to have enough space around the perimeter of the cone to equal what the cone area is. That requires 1/4 of the cone diameter of height. Since cones are smaller than their nominal diameter (most 15"s have cones about 13" in diameter), you would need about 3.25" of clearance for a 15" sub.

You may be able to get away with even less.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

This is a situation where there is what's "ideal" and then there is what you can get away with. I would want to have enough space around the perimeter of the cone to equal what the cone area is. That requires 1/4 of the cone diameter of height. Since cones are smaller than their nominal diameter (most 15"s have cones about 13" in diameter), you would need about 3.25" of clearance for a 15" sub.

Thanks for the input... always valued! And would I want to fire that onto a hard surface such as mdf or will the carpeted surface work?

good to know i wasnt completely off base! thanks for chiming in!

Archived