Multiple Amp questions

Tax

Yep I agree with madvibes. If you have the budget to, go with the UN series and have some mid-woofers to fill in the midbass.

I'd personally set it up a bit different though. The FT1 and UN drivers on the 50.4, 2 channels with 2 mids each, and the other 2 channels with 2 tweets each. Actively cross them over at whatever point suits both drivers. Maybe 4500-5000hz or so, the mid will just be more and more directional the higher you cross it over. It should be just fine amount of power for the mids, and it's more than enough for any tweeter ever.
High pass the mids at 250hz or so. Have them running IB in the doors.

For the mid-woofers, 2 8"s or 1 10" or whatever you can make work in your doors in a sealed enclosure, playing from 80hz-250hz. If you have a 125.4 that'll be just fine.

It'd cost a fair bit more, but would be the best option. Otherwise the PWX is probably the best you can do.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

If I can claim to be good at one thing! its hifi output, I will make those pro drivers sound listenable, I would also use this small piece of advice... there are very few pro tweeters that I can actually stomach....for the most part they sound gross, even if they have a flat response.... choose this portion of your design very wisely, your tweeter is responsible for reproducing 15k different frequencies.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the way stuff has gone the whole PA style route. High efficiency mids are great, but bullet tweeters don't go low enough to mate properly with them. As for how tweeters sound, they higher you can cross them in, the less they matter. But since the mids can't go high enough it ends up being less than ideal.

Now if you could fit a big JBL horn in the door with a proper compression driver it'd be a different story

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

That definitely looks like they'll fit so wouldn't have any issues there. What is the difference between a midrange and a loudspeaker?

Whatever the manufacturer decides it is.

Because specs seem to be a rare occurrence in the car audio world I can't say since I haven't used either. The UN series is quite sensitive but has a fairly high fs if you aren't going to be running a mid-woofer. The PWX lists "usable output" (whatever that means) down to 83hz, so they should be a fair choice. If they do indeed play lower than the UN, they won't be as sensitive.

Go active crossover if you can, you essentially get "free" power. If the amp is 2 ohm stable you can do 2 drivers per channel. The extra sensitivity of PA style speakers is what really helps though. If it still wasn't enough you could then try an extra amp, but power gains are diminishing returns.

Same here i havent used them but did alot of internet reserching becuase a couple months ago i was going to buy UNs. Everyone says the pwx does hit lower, and the UN still hits strong but with alot more upper midrange and clarity. If u have subs, id say get the UNs becuase the lowend is covered by the subs already and the UN should give u more then enough midbass to not feel like ur missing somethng.

With an fs of 122hz the UN will won't be outputting much below that (which is reffered to with the "usable frequency range"), and it's too high a frequency to cross subs in at. So there will potentially be a hole in the 80-120hz region. They seem to be aimed people who are going to also put a 10" woofer or something in to handle mid-bass. They likely don't have as much xmax as the PWX either. The PWX is half the price too.

Wow, i didnt realize how high the fs was on the UN 6.5. Even the UN 8 has a higher Fs than the pwx 6.5. It doesnt show what the sensitivity of the pwx is tho, i wonder what thats at. When i was gonna use the UN's i was planning on four 10's four 8's and two 6.5's with four of their super tweets. I Didnt bother calculating fs, just knew with the usable frequencies i had it all covered besides sub frequencies lol.

Wow, i didnt realize how high the fs was on the UN 6.5. Even the UN 8 has a higher Fs than the pwx 6.5. It doesnt show what the sensitivity of the pwx is tho, i wonder what thats at. When i was gonna use the UN's i was planning on four 10's four 8's and two 6.5's with four of their super tweets. I Didnt bother calculating fs, just knew with the usable frequencies i had it all covered besides sub frequencies lol.

Yeah that's half the problem with the whole movement to PA stuff. You see people load up their doors with 6.5s and 8s that aren't designed to mate directly to subwoofers. I'm sure it's loud, but it's not going to sound right. Some brands do trade a bit of sensitivity for a more practical fs though.

Yeah idk why they don't even list what I consider the most basic specs, but it doesn't surprise me either. I'd assume that since the "usable range" for the UN series has the fs as the lower limit, that the same goes for the PWX but can't know for sure since they omitted it for some reason.

I'd assume their sensitivity is somewhere in the 90-94 range based on comparisons to other PA 6.5s with similar power rating and fs.

Using 10s, 8s and 6.5s all at once seems a bit redundant imo, I'd just stick with the 10s and 6.5s. Having a bunch of crossovers close together will cause phase issues

my pa speakers say they have a range of 125 and up, I was very surprised to hear that could deliver down to 50hz in an enclosure with great snap. I still crossed them over at 175hz to just make sure my output would keep up with the 4 18" subs behind my head. I am however going to add some alumapro 8" subs crossed over from 60-150 in there to close the gap. small sealed enclosure should help make em peaky in that range

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Yeah that's half the problem with the whole movement to PA stuff. You see people load up their doors with 6.5s and 8s that aren't designed to mate directly to subwoofers. I'm sure it's loud, but it's not going to sound right. Some brands do trade a bit of sensitivity for a more practical fs though.

Yeah idk why they don't even list what I consider the most basic specs, but it doesn't surprise me either. I'd assume that since the "usable range" for the UN series has the fs as the lower limit, that the same goes for the PWX but can't know for sure since they omitted it for some reason.

I'd assume their sensitivity is somewhere in the 90-94 range based on comparisons to other PA 6.5s with similar power rating and fs.

Using 10s, 8s and 6.5s all at once seems a bit redundant imo, I'd just stick with the 10s and 6.5s. Having a bunch of crossovers close together will cause phase issues

yah i found out how rediculous it would be if i did that. I learn quick lol. Im completly new to car audio but ive learned alot within these past couple months. The amount of concepts and aspects within the car audio genre as a whole is MIND BOGGLING lol but im catching on more and more every day.

Archived