Sundown Audio

amplifier repairs?

G-Difficult

So you might remember me posting about a hissing noise in my door speakers....well I just mailed the amp out to Rockford to be repaired. As i was pulling out of the post office lot....i fried my other amp! I had everything taped off where I disconnected my door speaker amp, but I also had my subs unplugged. And the stripped end of the speaker wire managed to touch the distribution block. The top of I has a nice plastic cover but of course it touched the face that's bare metal.

I opened the amp and what I believe to be a mosfet? Is all charred up. It seems like this wouldn't be all that got damaged but there isn't anything else obviously burned. I was wondering if any of you know where I can get it repaired or how hard it would be to do myself?

Maybe advise on troubleshooting to see all that is damaged?

I can post pictures if anyone would like. Its a Rockford fosgate t1000 $700 amp.

Amp Medics is good if it is a korean built board, not rockfords own tech. Would probably be best off sending it back to rockford.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

It's almost certain that more than what is visibly burnt was damaged or destroyed, also typically MOSFETs must all be replaced at once if only one is bad. ONLY someone who knows what they are doing should attempt a repair.

I would vouch for Ampmedics (Florida), Zed Audio (SoCal), DB-r (Texas), SoundWest (Tacoma) as guys who are reliable. Bench time rates are going to be about the same for any legit shop and turnaround may be slow since the guys who are good stay busy. The only wildcard is going to be shipping, so IMO just deal with whoever is closest to you. There may be a few more reliable shops out there but I have not personally dealt with them so won't comment.

It's almost certain that more than what is visibly burnt was damaged or destroyed, also typically MOSFETs must all be replaced at once if only one is bad. ONLY someone who knows what they are doing should attempt a repair.

I would vouch for Ampmedics (Florida), Zed Audio (SoCal), DB-r (Texas), SoundWest (Tacoma) as guys who are reliable. Bench time rates are going to be about the same for any legit shop and turnaround may be slow since the guys who are good stay busy. The only wildcard is going to be shipping, so IMO just deal with whoever is closest to you. There may be a few more reliable shops out there but I have not personally dealt with them so won't comment.

DB-r can be VERY slow though. Everyone I know that has used him in the last couple years has waiting a very long time to get stuff back. And yea, generally if 1 fet goes, they do the whole side.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Kevin mansky in Ohio get in touch with him or amp medics

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

DB-r can be VERY slow though. Everyone I know that has used him in the last couple years has waiting a very long time to get stuff back. And yea, generally if 1 fet goes, they do the whole side.

Everybody who is good is typically slow since they've got piles of work. Unless it was way outside of competition season I'd be leary of an amp repair shop that could do something quickly.

Archived