Second Skin Audio

Carpeting enclosure

Tahoe Dmo

As the title says, I just finished cutting my enclosure out that the wonderful Joe X designed for me and I need to carpet it. Which carpet should I go with? Where's the best place to get subwoofer box carpet? Should I do just the charcoal color that I always see or should I use a tan to match my interior? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Oh and another question unrelated to carpeting: should I buy a terminal cup to plug the woofer to or just drill a hole and run the wires through that? I've seen both done and didn't know which was best.

Oh and another question unrelated to carpeting: should I buy a terminal cup to plug the woofer to or just drill a hole and run the wires through that? I've seen both done and didn't know which was best.

That really depends on if you plan on moving the box around or changing it or whatever. If you drill a hole for straight wire, you will want to make sure to seal that off. If you needed to take the box out or change anything you would, depending on you situation, either have to rip the wires out of the box or pull them from the amp. Adding a terminal cup adds flexibility in what you can do and swap out. I would say it really just depends on what you're doing. Most people will go with some sort of terminal (be it bolts or actual speaker terminals) for that flexibility and that's what I would recommend. If any problem should arise later on down the road, you may save yourself a headache.

That really depends on if you plan on moving the box around or changing it or whatever. If you drill a hole for straight wire, you will want to make sure to seal that off. If you needed to take the box out or change anything you would, depending on you situation, either have to rip the wires out of the box or pull them from the amp. Adding a terminal cup adds flexibility in what you can do and swap out. I would say it really just depends on what you're doing. Most people will go with some sort of terminal (be it bolts or actual speaker terminals) for that flexibility and that's what I would recommend. If any problem should arise later on down the road, you may save yourself a headache.

Those were kind of my thoughts as well, but a lot of the boxes I've seen built by local audio shops only used the hole method. I thought it seemed a little crappy and unorthodox, but I wasn't sure. I think I'll order some of the SMD terminal cups then.

The latex backed carpet is a pain to mold in tight corners, but does take a better abuse.

I never tried any of their carpet except for the black stuff, and I didnt really care for it. Its a really funky weave to it and just rubs me the wrong way.

Cant really tell which side is top or bottom and if you hold it up to light you can see through it. Its really easy for glue to seep through it if you get impatient and dont let glue flash over before installing it on the box.

Archived