Second Skin Audio

Aero Port tuning question

ModestDb

Two 4" ports would work well, but they would have to be around 32" long, which could be a problem with your space. With these smaller boxes a slot port is often easier to implement. A slot port around 30 sq in would work well. Its still going to take up a fair amount of space though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Two 4" ports would work well, but they would have to be around 32" long, which could be a problem with your space. With these smaller boxes a slot port is often easier to implement. A slot port around 30 sq in would work well. Its still going to take up a fair amount of space though.

This is my first aero port box and thought it would be fun being able to change the tune by swapping ports. It already does what I want on music, yet I'm also interested in experimenting. Anyone around like Joe X who might be able to map me out a slot ported box?

The biggest dimensional limitation for me is the height. It's 14 inches tall now and would maybe be difficult to put in the trunk if taller. The depth (11.25 inches) could potentially double if needed. The width of the box is now 28 inches and could increase by maybe 8 or 10 inches. Obviously the box doesn't HAVE to be that big but just letting yall know what kind of space is available in my car.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

So here is a suggestion, power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 2 3/4"

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

vfl8.jpg

E8_zps7a6ea7f0.jpg

Thank you very much Joe! I will do a test fit with cardboard and then report back if it will fit. If it fits i will build it and report back how it goes. Again, thanks!

Let us know how it works out. I think you will see a significant improvement with Joe X's box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Let us know how it works out. I think you will see a significant improvement with Joe X's box.

Mock up complete. Looks like it fits. Just returned from purchasing my 3/4" MDF and have all my cuts done other than speaker holes. Mocking up wood now just to familiarize myself with the layout before doing any permanent setting.

20161009_004804_zpsar6m3wkc.jpg

Showing some progress. Took all night to find someone with a jigsaw. Had I known they can be bought cheap (black and decker) I would have already owned one. This was the last picture I took but I finished more tonight. I have the front face mounted, the port entry wall and the first side piece mounted. I used wood glue, 2 inch wood screws and predrilled all the screw holes to avoid splitting the wood.

Any tips I should watch out for guys?

Also I've been sharing more video updates on snapchat if anyone is interested in tuning in, there. Just let me know.

Any tips I should watch out for guys?

Port width should be 2.75 wide throughout the port length make sure it's the case, not really sure but looking at the the pics it would seem that its somewhat narrower after the turn, hopefully it's just me.

Archived