Second Skin Audio

Output plot modeling request

Markous

Good afternoon SMD,

I've been curious to see what my setup output curve for my Sundown Zv4 10" & SCV-2000D combo looks like in a modeling program and i was wondering if someone wouldn't mind running the numbers for me.

Tried using win isd but wasn't able to figure out how to enter the t/s parameters and kept getting an error message, tried this several times and ended up rage quitting / giving up.

This is the box i built using torres,

zv410%20box_zpsydgelrpr.jpg

Here's the t/s digits for the sub,

zv4ts_zpsay9hnf6q.jpg

Thank you in advance for anyone who doesn't mind crunching the numbers for me, it is much appreciated

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Thank you very much Joe X :good: it seems to peak right at tuning is that what it's supposed to do? guessing yes but i'd like confirmation.

I built it to Sundown recommended specs (1.5 @ 32) If i made another box what variable(s) would be the best to tweak to eliminate/reduce that peak?

If that sounds like a dumb question forgive me, i'm not sure if it is as easy as just changing one or two variables.

I gotta suck it up, be patient and try and figure out how to do this myself.

Might not be easy with my "if you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem" attitude though.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

Reducing the peak in output can be accomplished by reducing box size, tuning lower, or some combination of both. In either case it will cost you a bit of max output, but that's the way it is.

Another solution would be to use EQ/DSP to tame the peak and leave your box how it is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks for the advice TA, I could handle some reduced output cause this thing bangs! (still don't get how some folks run the systems the do but to each their own)

When i get this EQS i have sitting around finally installed and use the SA-4100i to tune it up i'll also look at tuning down that peak

The model Joe X provided (thank you again Joe) seems to match the last few bands the one time i used the RTA when i first got it.

IMG_05801_zpsneca9uni.png

Yes, the curve I posted for you reflects the output of the sub alone, not the full system with your front stage working, say 150Hz and above reflects the output of your front stage for the most part, for a cheap/quick tweak to cut the peak you can temporarily up your subsonic filter a little above tuning, just be aware that this will cost you some low end.

To answer your question here is the plot of your current box vs a 0.75 net tuned to 35Hz box:

image.jpg

It fixes the peak but of course at the cost of some output.

For a temporal test solution you can load some MDF inside the box to reduce net volume and increase tuning.

I think i'll just go the eq route with the current design. Didn't think you could put the Zv4 10 in a box that's more spec'd for a SA-8?

Kinda makes me wonder why sundown would recommend that enclosure, by that i mean 1.53 @ 32hz

Sundown probably recommends that enclosure because it will get you the highest SPL number, but at the cost of peaky output and overall reduced sound quality.

You could certainly put the Z.v4 in a smaller box, the issue you will run into is getting enough port area. It get REALLY tough to get enough port area with small, low-tuned boxes on relatively high power.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sundown probably recommends that enclosure because it will get you the highest SPL number, but at the cost of peaky output and overall reduced sound quality.

You could certainly put the Z.v4 in a smaller box, the issue you will run into is getting enough port area. It get REALLY tough to get enough port area with small, low-tuned boxes on relatively high power.

I see, hmmm that's interesting.

Guess eq'ing that peak down a little will be the fix for the current setup.

I think the one idea i have of the getting a SI HST-12 might be a good alternative, i don't mind losing some output with a sealed setup and going up a size might cut the loss a little.

I'm not chasing numbers anyways and i've built a 15x16x16 in torres with 1.5" thickness and an extra 0.75" baffle that's close to the 0.63 recommended for it (0.65 after 0.45 displacement)

Archived