Second Skin Audio

Aeroport tuning confusion

Brody57

Im looking to use a 6" aeroport in an SPL build Im doing but the more I read on how to properly tune and get the measurements right the more confused I get. I have spent countless hours reading and searching how to decide on how long of a port to use that Im fried. I plan on running 1 Massive Audio Gordo 15 and a Massive D8000 amp. Ill be running that at .5 ohm and will be getting power at about 4,000 watts RMS. Id like to run 1 6" aeroport in a 5 cubic foot box with the tuning around 33-36 hertz. Whichever will yield better for my build. Im open on the hertz range. My computer recently crashed so Im unable to download the proper calculator. Any help would be appreciated!

#roadto150s

Use their calculator. http://www.psp-inc.com/tools2.html

33hz looks like 10.6 inches long

34hz looks like 9.8 inches long

35hz looks like 9 inches long

36hz looks like 8.4 inches long

This would be the total length of the port need from the end of 1 flare to the other flare.

So if you wanted 35hz you would need to subtract the height of each flare (lets say 1.5 inches each) so 3 inches from 9 inches means the straight tube needs to be cut at 6 inches long.

These are just estimates, do your own measuring and math, I do not have said port in front of me to measure and know exact values.

Use their calculator. http://www.psp-inc.com/tools2.html

33hz looks like 10.6 inches long

34hz looks like 9.8 inches long

35hz looks like 9 inches long

36hz looks like 8.4 inches long

This would be the total length of the port need from the end of 1 flare to the other flare.

So if you wanted 35hz you would need to subtract the height of each flare (lets say 1.5 inches each) so 3 inches from 9 inches means the straight tube needs to be cut at 6 inches long.

These are just estimates, do your own measuring and math, I do not have said port in front of me to measure and know exact values.

Thats the numbers I got too. My confusion lies with the whole square inch concept. Everyone says that you need anywhere from 5-12 square inches per cubic foot for correct tuning ratio for an aeroport. Everyone gets these crazy numbers of having to run more than 1 6" port to achieve the correct cubic inch for the box Ill be running. Thats what Im not getting. If you go by that rule, I'd need at the minimum of 25 square inches of port area. Which would meet that at 5 cubic feet. But if you go with more square inches than 5 my port area won't match my cubic feet for the box.

#roadto150s

The biggest problem with "port area per cube" guidelines is that they don't account for what tuning frequency you will be using or how much input power you will be running.

A properly sized port will be large enough so that it doesn't cause unnecessary port compression due to high port velocity. In my opinion, the best way to determine how much port area you need is by using simulation software combine with experience.

I can tell you right now, a single 6" port is way, WAY undersized for your application.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The biggest problem with "port area per cube" guidelines is that they don't account for what tuning frequency you will be using or how much input power you will be running.

A properly sized port will be large enough so that it doesn't cause unnecessary port compression due to high port velocity. In my opinion, the best way to determine how much port area you need is by using simulation software combine with experience.

I can tell you right now, a single 6" port is way, WAY undersized for your application.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm looking to break 150s and I had planned on using an Aero. I may not be able to now. I'm also up against space too. I'm doing this system in a single cab. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I'm not sure what to do now.

#roadto150s

Running more than two aeroport isn't efficient anyway. The most efficient use of space is either one or two large ports, or a large slot port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Running more than two aeroport isn't efficient anyway. The most efficient use of space is either one or two large ports, or a large slot port.

I was really hoping to try out the aeroport but I may not be able to with this build. Now if you ran the 1 6" would

It sound bad? What's the cons to running a port too small? I'll have to completely redo all of my box specs now. I had it all hammered out for a 6" aero. I'll have to refigure for a slot. It's gonna have to be a rather large slot too.

#roadto150s

I surpassed 156 db at 30hz with 2 6" areoports and two 21" subs.

tried adding more port area and went down. My humble opinion, try and see what happens.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived