What makes a good Head Unit?

Lol yah u skipped the last sentence. "Maybe 4amps on mids and highs plus (x8 6.5 and x8 tweeters) the 2 mono blocks for the subs?". But even with 4 amps and only 3channels, how would you work that out? Do u use the sub headunit outputs individually, like sub-left output to one amp and sub-right output to the other amp? Or just use amps that are able to be ran as a slave/master setup?

Planned on buying Sundown Neo Pro V2 6.5s in all 4 door panels at minimum (4 total mids) and haven't figured out what tweeter I want but probably a 1in Neo tweeter in every door panel too. If I do 2 sets of mids and highs in every door I'll need a custom fab door panel or murder the stock door panel myself. Never considered 8s, I'd definitely need custom fab door panels. I haven't figured out how it would all be wired...I've seen stuff like this done but never deduced how it was wired up. I'm ignorant completely to DSA and toslink btw. Thought it'd be the same problem no matter what head unit I bought? Would I use a bunch of RCA splitters for front rear and subs? Sounds like a wiring cluster fuck but is that necessary/possible/efficient as it relates to purchasing a head unit?

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

Planned on buying Sundown Neo Pro V2 6.5s in all 4 door panels at minimum (4 total mids) and haven't figured out what tweeter I want but probably a 1in Neo tweeter in every door panel too. If I do 2 sets of mids and highs in every door I'll need a custom fab door panel or murder the stock door panel myself. Never considered 8s, I'd definitely need custom fab door panels. I haven't figured out how it would all be wired...I've seen stuff like this done but never deduced how it was wired up. I'm ignorant completely to DSA and toslink btw. Thought it'd be the same problem no matter what head unit I bought? Would I use a bunch of RCA splitters for front rear and subs? Sounds like a wiring cluster fuck but is that necessary/possible/efficient as it relates to purchasing a head unit?

DSP is a digital sound processor. Your headunit is already able to do a little sound processing on its own. A DSP has just Wayyyyy more processing (tuning) abilities.

The toslink is a special cable that will take digital signal (instead of analog signal with normal rca cables) out of the headunit and send it to the DSP. Toslink and Digital Coax are cables that are used for transfering a DIGITAL signal. RCA is transfering analog. If you sent analog signal to a DSP, the signal would have to be coverted back to digital by the DSP to be able to do its work and process and tune the signal. Then after its tuned it would send convert it back to analog and send that signal to ur amps. So my point is if u send the signal to the DSP as a digital signal then it wont have to do that extra conversion in the beginning, the dsp can just do the tuning soon as the signal gets to it. And the main reasoning i suggested the DSP is becuase some of them have 8channels of rca pairs of output. So digtal signal input....turns into 8channels of analog output to ur amps. Hope that makes some sense. Maybe go reasearch what a dsp is and if its something youd want. Caraudiofabrication on youtube gives some good info on it. Lots of into out there if u look for it.

As for the wire cluster fuck lol, yah sounds like one. Im not sure what other techniques there are to get around using splitters. Maybe use bigger amps. Like one 2ch amp for leftside doors and one 2ch for rightside doors. The way id see that being used is one channel powers ALL ur mids on the left and the other channel powers ALL the tweets on the left. Then same idea for the right. That idea would get technical when wiring it up becuase youd have to make sure to buy the right ohm speakers so that when u wire it up the "ohm load" is what you want it at for ur amp to handle it. You know about wiring in speakers in Series, Parallel and also series/parallel? And how they change the final ohm load? If not, thats something u should research too.

Front and rear outputs can easily run two 4 channel amps. that would cover 2 mids and 2 tweets per door and the sub out can run 2 amps easily as well. Yes you could use a DPS to give you extra tuning options but I'm not sure that is needed in a setup like this. Maybe he wants too but it adds a whole level of complexity that i'm not sure is worth it for this.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

That makes since about the DSPand Toslink. I'm aware of how to wire speakers, although I'd have to look up exactly how to wire a lot of speakers to one amp to the right ohm. Not the usual amp wiring for me. Probably consider getting a splitter box though...I know a perfect place to put it. This all seems like it would happen on any head unit though, so unless another head unit is drastically better with gps and touchscreen around $650 I'll buy this Clarion NX706 tomorrow or the next day.

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

That makes since about the DSPand Toslink. I'm aware of how to wire speakers, although I'd have to look up exactly how to wire a lot of speakers to one amp to the right ohm. Not the usual amp wiring for me. Probably consider getting a splitter box though...I know a perfect place to put it. This all seems like it would happen on any head unit though, so unless another head unit is drastically better with gps and touchscreen around $650 I'll buy this Clarion NX706 tomorrow or the next day.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes for you! Build log!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna start a build log tomorrow or the next day once I start installing the head unit. Thanks for the advice.

Bought the Clarion Head Unit and it just came in. Got scrambled in deleivery around the holidays.

Bought a access steering wheel control adapter, back up camera, wiring harness, hdmi cable, hdmi to lightning adapter, digital optical cable, PNY 32gb flash drive (Music and movies) , and a 16gb Sandisk flash drive( Pictures and miscellaneous). It came with a microphone, gps antenna and other small various things for the install. Only question I have is on the back bottom left of the head unit where the digital optical is at, so I need a different cable/adapter or is it a protective dust cover I can pry off?

IMG_0502.jpgpost image

IMG_0553.jpguploading images

IMG_0545.jpgimage hosting more than 5mb

IMG_0549.jpgpc screenshot

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

Archived