3-Way passive setup question!

SpydreX

I am looking into buying some Focal K2 Power 165 KRX3s and power them with a 4 channel amp. I have been looking around and people have been saying that they can pull down to 1ohm which would be a problem for me as the I was going to use is only 2ohm stable for all four channels. On Crutchfield, it says "Focal strongly recommends using a 4-channel amplifier to drive the 165KRX3 component system — two channels for the woofers and two channels to run the mids and highs. The 165KRX3 crossover can be set up to use a 2-channel amplifier, but it would present a load of less than one ohm per channel which most amps cannot handle safely."

Would I be safe using an amp that does 2ohm: 140W x 4ch or would I need to get a 1ohm stable 4 channel amp? I am hoping I was just misreading the forums and them pulling 1 ohm is only for active setups.

Here is a forum where a guy mentions bridging the 4 channel amp giving two 4ohm stable channels which I also would like to know is a possibility for me. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/165919-amp-advice-focal-krx3-3-way-porsche-911-a.html

Amp I am wanting to use is a Twisted Sounds 95.4

I would do 2 amps.

Arc Audio

KS 300.2 - Mids/highs

KS600.2 - Woofers

With what your investing into your speakers you want something capable of delivering earth shattering power to those comps, lower powered amps run out of juice in the upper range of power and will sound like shit, you want to get to the max listening volume as loudly and cleanly as possible with little to no distortion, there are very few expensive comps that can't handle high power as long as it is clean.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I would do 2 amps.

Arc Audio

KS 300.2 - Mids/highs

KS600.2 - Woofers

With what your investing into your speakers you want something capable of delivering earth shattering power to those comps, lower powered amps run out of juice in the upper range of power and will sound like shit, you want to get to the max listening volume as loudly and cleanly as possible with little to no distortion, there are very few expensive comps that can't handle high power as long as it is clean.

But I was wondering If its ok to use the 4 channel, I really don't want to bi-amp them as the speakers are already going to shatter my budget. If for some reason I can't run the 4 channel, then I would rather just run the KRX2 and just go 2-way.

EDIT: Those comps are only rated to 100watts RMS anyways so is the extra power you are talking about just for headroom?

A 4 channel amp should be fine. You would still be bi-amping them though, and that would leave you at 4 ohms a channel. I would say 4 channel is the recommended way to go.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

A 4 channel amp should be fine. You would still be bi-amping them though, and that would leave you at 4 ohms a channel. I would say 4 channel is the recommended way to go.

Yes I recently just found that out, I'm still a noob and thought that bi-amping meant two amplifiers not two channels:p

Archived