Jump to content

recommend a Plunge router?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Anyone have suggestions for a plunge router?

i would like it to plunge smoothly and have the option to set a plunge point so i can repeat cuts.

would like to keep it under $200 thanks

edit:

i was looking at this one, has 1/4" and 1/2" collets, plunge, can be mounted to a table.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481401595&sr=8-3&keywords=plunge+router

Posted

thats a solid choice for a router. as far as bits go, i've had excellent luck with these https://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Stalwart-Multi-Purpose-24-Piece-Router/dp/B000X47YDE/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1481403579&sr=1-3&keywords=router+bits and yeah i know they're cheap, but im not running a shop or constantly routing stuff. so for the hobbyist they work great. if you want something a little more stout, search 'router bits yonico' and snag a set of those.

Posted

This is the one I bought. It works great and very easy to use. Price is right and with a little work I was able to mount it to a cheap router table that I got for free. I guess it would be easy enough to make a small table for it.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481403548&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+plunge+router

This is the set of bits I purchased. I orig purchased some cheaper Grizzly brand bits but don't like them as much. I know these are not cheap but cheap is cheap sometimes. Anyway that my opinion on that.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-4885-24-piece-timberline-router-bit-set-in-a-handy-storage-case-14-inch-shank.aspx?&variantids=8498,0&keywords=680-240

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Posted

thats a solid choice for a router. as far as bits go, i've had excellent luck with these https://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Stalwart-Multi-Purpose-24-Piece-Router/dp/B000X47YDE/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1481403579&sr=1-3&keywords=router+bits and yeah i know they're cheap, but im not running a shop or constantly routing stuff. so for the hobbyist they work great. if you want something a little more stout, search 'router bits yonico' and snag a set of those.

you like yours? the reviews are scary. Lots of people having the bearings fly apart and them dulling quick

Posted

My jasper jig fits the dewalt

Also with the bits its a good idea to always , always check the bearing before using. The have a little allen screw that you have to check. I had one fly off before and its because I didn't check it. I will always do it now.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Posted

My jasper jig fits the dewalt

the one you linked is 1.5hp, does it have enough power to do good cuts in 3/4" material? I know with my dads B&D i have to make about 4 passes and it works it pretty hard. Also, does it plunge smoothly?

Posted

Yes it does. I dont take the whole 3/4 at once. The plung is very smoothe and easy to use. You just press the lever push down and let off and it locks itself in. I love that feature.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 507 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...