Second Skin Audio

Limited Space but want 2 15's...

Chase Wallace

I would do 1 15 or 2 12s with the space you have. depending on power you will need space for amps and batts

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

I remember someone on here talking about taking the seat bottom out and making a cushion that matched the seat upholstery to put on top of the box. If you take that a step farther, you could also include a seat back to your box to make a new seat higher and farther forward to get the volume you need.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I remember someone on here talking about taking the seat bottom out and making a cushion that matched the seat upholstery to put on top of the box. If you take that a step farther, you could also include a seat back to your box to make a new seat higher and farther forward to get the volume you need.

I remember that build your referring too. I think i remember even seeing a pic and it looked good done right.

Hmm...that sounds like an idea that I might be into as long as I could keep it functional and fairly factory looking. That would give me more options on subs too as I wouldn't be so limited by the depth of the subs. I don't have an insane budget or anything but still want to make sure whatever I do is right. Can anyone tell how big and long of a port I would need for say a 7 cubic food box tuned to 35 hz? I need to know if I'm actually going to be able to put the port where I planned or if I'm going to have to come up with some other idea.

Hmm...that sounds like an idea that I might be into as long as I could keep it functional and fairly factory looking. That would give me more options on subs too as I wouldn't be so limited by the depth of the subs. I don't have an insane budget or anything but still want to make sure whatever I do is right. Can anyone tell how big and long of a port I would need for say a 7 cubic food box tuned to 35 hz? I need to know if I'm actually going to be able to put the port where I planned or if I'm going to have to come up with some other idea.

With 7 ft^3 net volume and a tuning of ~35 Hz (assuming 3-common wall slot port)

70 in^2 port area would need 3" of length

90 in^2 port area would need 7" of length

110 in^2 port area would need 11" of length

130 in^2 port area would need 15" of length

Idk how much port area you'll need but I figure this will give you an idea.

DLHgn, thank you VERY much for that info. I would be going way over budget but if I can I would really like to run some Sundown Xv2's 12's or 15's. If not then probably some Sundown SA v3 12's or 15's. Of course I want the X 15's but the box volume I can get and the wallet will be huge factors in that. The website says the X 12's need 40 square inches and the 15's need 68 square inches so you've given me a good idea.

This might be a noob question but is it ok to run a short port length like 3"? I don't think I've ever built or seen a properly built box with what amounts to almost no port and seems more like just a hole in the box to me.

DLHgn, thank you VERY much for that info. I would be going way over budget but if I can I would really like to run some Sundown Xv2's 12's or 15's. If not then probably some Sundown SA v3 12's or 15's. Of course I want the X 15's but the box volume I can get and the wallet will be huge factors in that. The website says the X 12's need 40 square inches and the 15's need 68 square inches so you've given me a good idea.

This might be a noob question but is it ok to run a short port length like 3"? I don't think I've ever built or seen a properly built box with what amounts to almost no port and seems more like just a hole in the box to me.

Umm, i'm not quite sure actually. Some part of me says it will be a problem but then I think about all the pics and videos I see (plus some in person) of massive 4th orders or ported enclosures with really huge short ports but because there is so much volume they're still tuned pretty low. I would wait for someone with more enclosure knowlege to answer. But no problem. Again, those numbers are based off of what you told me and that assumption. It will change pretty dramatically if those numbers are changed.

Well I just got news today that my mom wants to help me pay for the crazy setup I want to build so it looks like this dream might actually happen. Hopefully when I get some better airspace measurements some guys on here can help me figure out the tuning and stuff for the port. If the airspace allows for it I would really like to step it up to a couple Sundown Xv2 15's. I think both amps I had in mind did just under 4k RMS on the amp dyno but I wouldn't mind stepping that up as well unless you guys think I shouldn't over power them more than a few hundred watts each. I think Sundown says 1500 watts rms conservative. I'm not sure just how conservative they're being but I think it would be cool to throw a solid clean 2500rms to each lol. Yeah I'm someone who always wants to push the limit with everything...

I'm really liking the idea of just getting rid of the back seat and building the box so that it can BE the back seat itself. That should give me a lot more airspace to work with as the box can be something like a foot wider and a lot taller + added airspace from what will be the back of the seat/box. Hopefully I can get something that satisfies me while still having a functional back seat in the truck. As much as I love audio, I don't like loosing passenger space unless I had a vehicle that I could just totally devote to audio which would be totally awesome but I'm just a poor guy trying to finally build something that will live up to my teenage dreams... maybe this will get me back into going to car audio competitions.

Well I just got news today that my mom wants to help me pay for the crazy setup I want to build so it looks like this dream might actually happen. Hopefully when I get some better airspace measurements some guys on here can help me figure out the tuning and stuff for the port. If the airspace allows for it I would really like to step it up to a couple Sundown Xv2 15's. I think both amps I had in mind did just under 4k RMS on the amp dyno but I wouldn't mind stepping that up as well unless you guys think I shouldn't over power them more than a few hundred watts each. I think Sundown says 1500 watts rms conservative. I'm not sure just how conservative they're being but I think it would be cool to throw a solid clean 2500rms to each lol. Yeah I'm someone who always wants to push the limit with everything...

I'm really liking the idea of just getting rid of the back seat and building the box so that it can BE the back seat itself. That should give me a lot more airspace to work with as the box can be something like a foot wider and a lot taller + added airspace from what will be the back of the seat/box. Hopefully I can get something that satisfies me while still having a functional back seat in the truck. As much as I love audio, I don't like loosing passenger space unless I had a vehicle that I could just totally devote to audio which would be totally awesome but I'm just a poor guy trying to finally build something that will live up to my teenage dreams... maybe this will get me back into going to car audio competitions.

Let us know what you end up doing. Would be neat to see the whole seat thing. Once you get concrete measurements for your space create a post on the forum asking for help. I'm sure it'll peak someone's interest.

Archived