Second Skin Audio

Do SSA Xcons really need 7.75ft^3 for optimal performance?

SpydreX

I would not run an Xcon 18 in a 5cuft box.

Get the 15. They'll love 5cu ft each ! That will leave room for a nice port.

This is the route I'd take as well. Cone area is only king when you have the space to build a proper enclosure. Since you don't really have the room, step down to 15's that you have room for

Even though I would only be 0.25ft^3 off from 6ft^3 and would be running extra power?

Even though I would only be 0.25ft^3 off from 6ft^3 and would be running extra power?

The XCON 18 in a 5.75 cu ft box should be fine, though it will sound different than a 15" Xcon would sound in a 5.75 cu ft box. Which will be better for your application depends on how you want it to sound.

The 15 should have a little better output in the 30 - 40 hz range, outside that range the 18 should have slightly better performance. The 18 will have a smoother frequency response, though it will roll off at a bit higher frequency. If it were ME I'd go for the 18, but I prefer smoother response. If max output in the 30-40 Hz range is your primary goal, the 15 will probably be better.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The XCON 18 in a 5.75 cu ft box should be fine, though it will sound different than a 15" Xcon would sound in a 5.75 cu ft box. Which will be better for your application depends on how you want it to sound.

The 15 should have a little better output in the 30 - 40 hz range, outside that range the 18 should have slightly better performance. The 18 will have a smoother frequency response, though it will roll off at a bit higher frequency. If it were ME I'd go for the 18, but I prefer smoother response. If max output in the 30-40 Hz range is your primary goal, the 15 will probably be better.

Yeah, I like a very flat response so sacrificing a little bit of output is fine to me. I am going to be tuning pretty low 26-28Hz to give a flat response curve for more of a SQ build but with lots of power for those times you just want to listen to decaf.

Archived