Second Skin Audio

Running used and new subwoofers together?

RedFred

Hello all,

I've currently got 2 SoundQubed HDS212 D4 subwoofers that I purchased used from a guy on craigslist.

I am looking to run 6 of them in total. Is there any reason I should avoid mixing used and new subwoofers?

Or similarly, is there any issue running 3 different used pairs of the subwoofers? (Since most people only run two 12s, it's easy to find them used in pairs on Craigslist/Facebook).

Would I need to allow differing break in periods or something?

you should be fine. It's similar to the people who have one or two recones out of 8 subs in their wall and drop the new recone in, do a little testing, then get back at it. The used sub will have a little more travel than the new sub, but as long as the signals going to them are in phase, there should be no issue

As Reedal said, there is no issue running a used and new sub together as long as observe the new subs break in period. However if you plan on buying multiple pairs make absolutely sure that they are the exact same model of subs in every way. Especially if you are buying on craigslist, as a lot of people don't actually know what they have. Just make sure you double check before you buy.

Archived