Second Skin Audio

General Question/Cone area vs power

Aeisuhr

So with the how do i gain 3db question that is always asked, the answer has always been the same more effecient box, more cone area, or more power. Say you have 2 12s on 2k rms(1k ea) but upgrade cone area to 4 12s do you still get the gain with the same power 2k rms total(500rms ea)? No brands or anything in mind just a general question.

Yes, in this case the power to cone area ratio doubled.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

i just didnt know if all 4 half power would be the same as 2 fully powered.  And i know there isnt an easy way to determin this but a build i had in mind was with 4 12s but horizontal space is limited  how much cancellation would there be with 2 and port forward with 2 on top

cone area is king in most cases.... rarely would you see lets say 1-12" sub beat out 2-12" on the same power..... Unless you have shitty box design/poor install for the 2-12" 

1 hour ago, Aeisuhr said:

i just didnt know if all 4 half power would be the same as 2 fully powered.  And i know there isnt an easy way to determin this but a build i had in mind was with 4 12s but horizontal space is limited  how much cancellation would there be with 2 and port forward with 2 on top

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

The thing about cone area is you have to have box volume to support it.  If you have a box with two 12" subs in it and you cut two more holes and put a couple more 12" subs in the same box you aren't going to gain much.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

i have about 7^3 after port displacement with what i was thinking thats a estimate because i havent worked out the port yet because i havent chosen the subs i want, still tring to figure out if 4 subs even with the cancelation from 2 being on top and 2 in front will still outperform the 2 alone with each only getting 500 rms i have 2t1's was thinking about just getting 2 more to go with them or if it will end up just performing like 3

the cancellation would most likely occur oustide of the box since the subs are firing different directions therefor bouncing off different walls first, so theoretically at certain frequencies they could cancel each other out, but i wouldnt count on it ruining your system

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Archived