I have had my SHCA OFC for two years now, no issues with it, but i am curious as to how the small amount of iron youve found in it makes a difference. With it being such a small amount, will the mixture even have any type of reaction like you do with CCA over time?

Just now, reedal said:

I have had my SHCA OFC for two years now, no issues with it, but i am curious as to how the small amount of iron youve found in it makes a difference. With it being such a small amount, will the mixture even have any type of reaction like you do with CCA over time?

See I think that small amount like that might not be a problem

See and what everyone is getting hung up on is corrosion. Almost any element can corrode with oxygen, aluminum oxide is aluminum rust and copper oxide is technically copper rust.

1349713160_rte.png

15 minutes ago, rocking.that.eclipse said:

See I think that small amount like that might not be a problem

See and what everyone is getting hung up on is corrosion. Almost any element can corrode with oxygen, aluminum oxide is aluminum rust and copper oxide is technically copper rust.

I didnt think itd be a problem, but i figured id ask.

i do agree about the corrosion aspect. I dont worry about that too much, being that everything will oxidize over time when exposed to the elements. Im more worried about galvanic corrosion from mixing metals. 

Thank you for doing the testing. Ill be tuned in for the other results you find

1 hour ago, reedal said:

I didnt think itd be a problem, but i figured id ask.

i do agree about the corrosion aspect. I dont worry about that too much, being that everything will oxidize over time when exposed to the elements. Im more worried about galvanic corrosion from mixing metals. 

Thank you for doing the testing. Ill be tuned in for the other results you find

See and that's the other thing people arn't worrying about. There will be galvanic corrosion for almost connection that can be had, given enough time. Unless someone here has a copper frame and uses copper bolts for their grounds there is going to be a chance for galvanic reaction to happen at almost any ground connection.

Looking at these values also there is little variances for the amount of copper present. I mean the thing that you care about the most is the conductivity which someone else did as a test. This test was more for fun. If you had a wire made from 100% iron and it somehow conducted better than the 100% copper would you use it over the copper wire???

1349713160_rte.png

Im more comfortable with the galvanic corrosion at the connect point than i am throughout the length of the wire. I can monitor the connection and clean it as required, whereas a wire that is comprised of two metals, you're going to have that galvanic reaction throughout the entire length of the wire

if it was the standard (in the same sense that copper is the standard now) then we'd all be using it instead im sure. Or even if it was newly discovered that iron wire was the best, itd start off with a few using it, and slowly pick up more and more, as long as the cost point was less than or equal to copper wire. 

The cost point of wire is really the deal breaker.

Archived