Wiring Dual Alternators

So I've currently got a 1999 S10 Blazer 4.3L with a 270a JS Ultimates Alternator.

I also have a 270a Mechman alternator sitting in my garage, and the dual alternator bracket, new belt, and pulleys.

I'm wondering how I go about hooking this up.

Since I made the mistake of buying this from a guy on FB, he hasn't and probably won't ever ship me the correct wiring harness.

This is what my current harness looks like:

YUnGZkLl.jpg

4 pins, but only 1 wire.

I'm thinking I just need to purchase this:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/alternator-connector/duralast-alternator-connector/518325_861849_0

and then run that harness to the 2nd alternator, with the other end hooked to a switchable 12V source in the fuse box.

Now in the harness that he was supposed to ship, he had an in-line diode, and I can't figure out why.

I think it should just be as simple as running positive and grounds to the battery, then hooking up the 2nd harness and be good to go.

Does anyone see any problems here? Or have experience on a similar vehicle (tahoe/burban/etc) that could help me out?

Thanks for any and all advice

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of in the same situation I've been a car audio hobbyist for quite some time however this is my first dual alt hook up and I was wondering the samething.

I have 01 Yukon XL 5.3 and I recently picked up a pair of 320' s, I also have the bracket and belt and was wondering how to hook the both of them up, would the above instruction be the same for my application? I have a  DC 7.5k  that I'm working with for an  amplifier that I want to make sure is getting the proper power.

I also have a bank of 6 100 amp hour battso in the back and a yellow top under the hood would I only do my runs from the second alt and use the first alt only for the trucks electrical system or would it be OK to run power from both alts to the rear bank?

2007 Chevy Impala LS

1 Crescendo 3KWP

1Crescendo C1000/4

2 DC lvl 4 15's with lvl5 dual .7 coils

1Audio Control Matrix

1 Pioneer P880PRS

1 300 amp Iraggi alt

All power runs done with Knu flex 0/1 guage

1 optima yellow top under the hood

1 XS 5100 and two Deka's in the trunk

4 Crescendo MP-8 mid bass drivers

2 DB Drive p5 5 D Pro Audio tweeters

Yes, set up the same. 

You can use the output of both Alts for the stock electronics and the aftermarket with no problems. 

3 hours ago, jizazz12 said:

I'm kind of in the same situation I've been a car audio hobbyist for quite some time however this is my first dual alt hook up and I was wondering the samething.

I have 01 Yukon XL 5.3 and I recently picked up a pair of 320' s, I also have the bracket and belt and was wondering how to hook the both of them up, would the above instruction be the same for my application? I have a  DC 7.5k  that I'm working with for an  amplifier that I want to make sure is getting the proper power.

I also have a bank of 6 100 amp hour battso in the back and a yellow top under the hood would I only do my runs from the second alt and use the first alt only for the trucks electrical system or would it be OK to run power from both alts to the rear bank?

Archived