Second Skin Audio

One Sub outputting more than the other

I just ran into a problem recently I can't figure it out.  

I have 2 DC Level 6 18's Dual 1's running off a crescendo 12k.  I just installed the 12k about a couple weeks ago.  I noticed that one sub is outputting more than the other.  It seems as if my right subwoofer doesn't play the higher notes as strong, and it doesn't look real in sync with the other sub.  Dont know why? I currently have them wired to 1ohn, but only have one + and one - running to the amp.

Also, when trying to unmount my sub's to check if anything with the wiring was faulty, I ran into a weird problem.When i unmounted my sub's from my box, and placed them on top of the box, I tried free-airing them, and the right sub now wasn't working at all.  These sub's are fairly new, had them for about 4-5 months.  I haven't been pushing it to its limits, since before the 12k, I was running the 2 subs off a bc5500. The coils look okay. Wiring is fine, direct leads/tinsels look good. I ran my multimeter on the coils though, and it was reading 2ohms, and 4ohms on each side of the sub. So that is weird. Is it blown?

So now I put the sub's back in the box, and guess what? It starts to play again. But I still notice its not pushing as hard as the other sub.  So I'm kind of confused as to what's going on.  Is that sub blown? Could it be something with my wiring? I didn't notice any of these problems when I was running my sub's off my bc5500.  But now I'm running 12k, and I got a limitless 60ah lithium battery with my other xspowers. 

Confused! Is it blown? Why is the sub not putting out the same as the other sub? Why when I tried free airing out the box, the sub wouldn't work?

4 hours ago, Shaunthedon said:

I just ran into a problem recently I can't figure it out.  

I have 2 DC Level 6 18's Dual 1's running off a crescendo 12k.  I just installed the 12k about a couple weeks ago.  I noticed that one sub is outputting more than the other.  It seems as if my right subwoofer doesn't play the higher notes as strong, and it doesn't look real in sync with the other sub.  Dont know why? I currently have them wired to 1ohn, but only have one + and one - running to the amp.

Also, when trying to unmount my sub's to check if anything with the wiring was faulty, I ran into a weird problem.When i unmounted my sub's from my box, and placed them on top of the box, I tried free-airing them, and the right sub now wasn't working at all.  These sub's are fairly new, had them for about 4-5 months.  I haven't been pushing it to its limits, since before the 12k, I was running the 2 subs off a bc5500. The coils look okay. Wiring is fine, direct leads/tinsels look good. I ran my multimeter on the coils though, and it was reading 2ohms, and 4ohms on each side of the sub. So that is weird. Is it blown?

So now I put the sub's back in the box, and guess what? It starts to play again. But I still notice its not pushing as hard as the other sub.  So I'm kind of confused as to what's going on.  Is that sub blown? Could it be something with my wiring? I didn't notice any of these problems when I was running my sub's off my bc5500.  But now I'm running 12k, and I got a limitless 60ah lithium battery with my other xspowers. 

Confused! Is it blown? Why is the sub not putting out the same as the other sub? Why when I tried free airing out the box, the sub wouldn't work?

A few things come to mind...wiring issue. You may/may not know it until you start investigating the problem yourself. I spkr wire might look like it's in tact but really isn't. Thus could be because 1 coil is moving while the other ins isn't.

If it still play's, it's not blown. When you did a DMM test on the coils, it should be an odd number, not 2 or 4 ohms each...something like 1.7 would be 2 ohms.

You could very well have a bad coil....and it's just now giving you problems. See if you can upload a video of them playing.

You have dual 1 ohm coils and one coil reads 2 ohms and the other reads 4 ohms on the same sub? If so then it is blown. Time to recone. One sub is 2 ohm and the other is 4 ohm? You have mismatched subs.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

if the right one wasnt working out of the box yet seems like it is inside it could be just acting like a passive radiator so you think its working when in reality its not..... if you have them in series then parallel unhook the left one and see if the right is working inside the box by itself likely it isnt ....

and if one reads dual 4 then either its the wrong ohms or its messed up

44 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

You have dual 1 ohm coils and one coil reads 2 ohms and the other reads 4 ohms on the same sub? If so then it is blown. Time to recone. One sub is 2 ohm and the other is 4 ohm? You have mismatched subs.

On the same sub, the bad sub.  I guess its time for a recone. Anyone know why it still plays when in the box, compared to free airing.  When outside the box, the sub wasn't working, but when mounted in the box with the other sub, it was playing (yet not in sync).  

1 hour ago, Shaunthedon said:

On the same sub, the bad sub.  I guess its time for a recone. Anyone know why it still plays when in the box, compared to free airing.  When outside the box, the sub wasn't working, but when mounted in the box with the other sub, it was playing (yet not in sync).  

download_zps3d1nwdxc.jpg

Archived