Sundown Audio

Amp not getting enough power?

cheatcode

it looks like he has an oscope to me. That aside, as long as you arent testing voltage with any speakers hooked to the amp you should just set the voltage as high as it will go without clipping.

23 hours ago, cheatcode said:

Signal going into my amp
f75wdFE.jpg

39 minutes ago, cheatcode said:

All JL amps do rated or more. I'm not quite sure how this relates to my question since I'm not asking about the drivers at all "since they have literally nothing to do with my issue" but I'm well aware the resistance can vary dependent on driver movement and I know how to use a multimeter, but thanks for the tutorial. 

I'm not sure what set of $10,000 cryogenic RCA's you run but JL Premium RCA's are far from garbage. No, nothing is wrong with my HU. It does around 4.7v clean with the volume all the way up. And no, the "math method" is not flawed. If your amp is rated to do 400 watts rms at 4 ohms then setting the output voltage at 40 volts would ensure your "amplifier" is doing relatively close to that.

According to your testing your are not getting 4.7volts clean or you have no idea what you are doing.

I explained 3 very plausible causes to your issues, you proved one of them right which you wont admit after your own tested and disregarded the other two.

Have a nice day.

30 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

it looks like he has an oscope to me. That aside, as long as you arent testing voltage with any speakers hooked to the amp you should just set the voltage as high as it will go without clipping.

No the scope is lying, because he is only getting 25 volts clean, and 36 volts maxed out which is not the 40 volts that it should be according to doing the math, because impedance and resistance are apparently the same thing.....

He is going off one of these stupid charts that are not the way to set gains.

RMSchart.jpg

2 minutes ago, cheatcode said:

I can't believe you're an admin on this forum. When you set your gains do you set them with the volume on your head unit at full volume?

They are set at the highest non distorted unclipped volume of the radio, otherwise you WILL NOT get full preout voltage of your radio.
Trust me, my advice is good, you are just doing something way way wrong.

i was just saying, if he has a scope, he should be able to set gains to maxed unclipped, whatever that may be. Regardless of those charts, the voltage the amp makes should always be pretty constant regardless of resistance, since the resistance would or should only change the amperage the amp produces. Or maybe i have it all wrong.

Just now, audiofanaticz said:

otherwise you WILL NOT get full preout voltage of your radio

Very good. I set my gains with 1KHz/0db 40Hz/0db test tones at 3/4 volume like most people do.

Your other "plausible" cause is that my RCA's which cost three times more than your smd's are garbage. How are you on three "car audio" teams? 

Archived