[Update 3/18] Another Boring Tahoe Build [SOLD]

5 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

How many dB are you looking to gain? Do you have the seats lying around or are you going to buy them?

Ill be surprised if you gain 3dB with a seat change (altho i may be wrong and if youre going to test anyway then im tuned in for results), so it doesnt seem worth trying when you could change to larger subs or place them elsewhere in the vehicle to gain many more dBs. I prefer hard data over opinions, even my own opinions, so let us know what you find out.

Not really chasing numbers, I just like experimenting.

But right now I really don't have a good place for amps, so my thinking was to get captain's seats and mount the amps where the removed middle seat was. Then port air will blow and cool them, and I can keep all 49" x 48" of my rear cargo area for hauling stuff.

I'll definitely keep the thread updated with any happenings

Haven't done anything new to the vehicle, but I got probably 6 hours of driving lately so the subs and mids are breaking in.

The Evils sound REALLY nice now that I found some EQ and crossover settings that I like.

I was showing the system to a guy who I was helping meter, and metered mine again and got a new PR:

xQvSIcAl.png

So far the S2's are still taking the beating without any issue, which is remarkable to me. I'm considering throwing a 3500 @ 0.5 to them and seeing what happens...

I highly recommend going down fire with the console. I built one for my Yukon a while back and like you loved not having a box in the cargo area. But tried different configurations between the seats and down fire was the best. 

Single 10" 1.25 net 32hz sub and port both downfire

full?d=1443546182

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

11 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

I highly recommend going down fire with the console. I built one for my Yukon a while back and like you loved not having a box in the cargo area. But tried different configurations between the seats and down fire was the best. 

Single 10" 1.25 net 32hz sub and port both downfire

That setup looks awesome! Beautifully crafted.

I don't think I have the fabrication skills necessary to do something like that, so for now this console is pretty good.

Well made center console boxes where you keep the cup holders and stuff always amaze me, but my setups usually don't last longer than a month, so I don't take the time to make them as nice lol.

1 hour ago, RedFred said:

That setup looks awesome! Beautifully crafted.

I don't think I have the fabrication skills necessary to do something like that, so for now this console is pretty good.

Well made center console boxes where you keep the cup holders and stuff always amaze me, but my setups usually don't last longer than a month, so I don't take the time to make them as nice lol.

Thanks a lot! Definitely put some time into it to make it fit, function, and look how I wanted. It performed very well with a re se10 in it. Sold it with the sub for 300 about a year later lol.

You might just try putting some spacers and trying downfire to see if it works better. 

If I could squeeze a good 2k 12 in 2 cubes with all the storage I would. But it gets hard to get space while keeping it fitting right and keeping storage.

I might try again 1 day. Wife misses it lol

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

@WalledSonic

Finally got around to testing some different things!

ZIzS2hil.jpg

I started subs up port back, thinking it would be loudest, but actually of all the setups in the hatch, it was the quietest.

1tWAO1ll.jpg

I think if I could move my amps around more without rewiring everything, I could probably find another orientation and get a little more out of it.

As it is though, moving from center console to rear hatch gained almost 5dBs!

cVq4Isbl.png

Not too shabby for two $90 subs in a huge ass SUV.

Still no luck finding any captain's seats for sale, but I NEED to find somewhere permanent to hide my amps and wires. It looks like garbage, and wastes so much space.

12 minutes ago, Wishuponasub said:

Nice. That is hard to believe that you got that big of a gain. The experimenting is working out well.

Yeah I couldn't believe it either lol.

I was thinking about throwing 2 C315s in here on a 3500, or walling 4 C315s with one of the Banda 7ks... but I think I might just keep this a daily and look for another vehicle to beat up. I dunno. Too indecisive.

Nice gain!  5dB is definitely significant.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Nice gain!  5dB is definitely significant.  

Yeah it's insane!

I'm in contending range with these 10s, as most of the guys running 2 15s or 1 18 in my area.

Since I've got the meter, a lot of people come to me, and these are some I've metered lately:

Walled Honda Civic w/ 1 C318 on a Rockford T1500 - 146.7dB

2007 Tahoe w/ 2 C315s on an American Bass VFL500 no wall - 147.2

2007 Tahoe w/ 1 DC LVL 5 18 on an American Bass VFL500 no wall - 146.4

It's funny seeing how amazed everyone is by these 10s lol

Archived