I want to add a second battery and second alternator

4 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Im having a hard time seeing how, what your running now, would be killing the electrical support you have.  Your amp wired at quarter ohm or something ?

EDIT- also, what voltage drop do you have? Put a meter on it and see. That alt may not put out much at all at idle, but, Id expect the amp to play fine, no noticeable weird shit to the ear from low voltage, it would shut off if it got crazy low.  

I'm wondering the same thing trust me. I thought I was going about it the right way haha. It's wired to 1 ohm(two single 2 ohm FI alpha 12's) There's a shop here locally that can check the voltage drop. 

All together I have a 240 amp alternator from Mechman,  audio control lc6i LOC with the factory radio( 08 Acura tl...there's one aftermarket option I belive and even then it won't fit without custom work..exceeds my experience range) 4 door speakers, 2 tweeters, RF 250 for the door speakers and a RF 1200 for the FI Alpha 12's. 

I had a guy install it all as I just got stationed to fort hood and I have no tools yet what so ever. The only thing I can think of is he messed up with the installation. The belt definitely isn't slipping..I went a half inch shorter to account for the smaller pull and everything is either 4 Guage or 0 guage..

Once again I just want to say thank you. I know guys probably get tired of answering noob questions all day.

No problem with the noob questions, I am still a noob too. I would definitely do the big 3 if you haven't done it yet. Make sure that the ground point in the back is in a good solid place and that the paint is sanded off so there will be a good connection.The battery in the back will definitely help then get a multimeter with a peak hold function and see what the lowest voltage at the sub amp is when the bass hits. Those 1200 batteries are on the small side so a second one in the back wouldn't hurt either, try to put them as close to the sub amp as possible and run 1/0 to them too. You will then need a fuse holder in the back as well as the front for the 1/0 run incase it would get pinched in an accident.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

It is true that the alternator powers the system, but the voltage regulator can't react fast enough when the bass hits. A battery by the amp will be able to supply the current needed for an instant until the alternator recovers. Then the alternator charges the battery back up. Then the bass hits again.

Pioneer 80PRS

3 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

It is true that the alternator powers the system, but the voltage regulator can't react fast enough when the bass hits. A battery by the amp will be able to supply the current needed for an instant until the alternator recovers. Then the alternator charges the battery back up. Then the bass hits again.

Man...you just took me to school right there. So that's why they say this or that battery is perfect for (x) amount of watts..

So, in theory, having a battery designed for 1200 watts on a amp putting out 900 watts would be ok? These little batteries can supply power until the alternator catches up..

With that explanation I now see why a lot of people talk about the XS Power D1200.. apparently that one can take anywhere from 1500 to 3000 Watts. The only reason I'm dead set on 2 kinetik's is because I already have one and is just sitting here collecting dust. Hate to see money just wasted you know.

Since you already have it, put it in and see if it helps. It should make a difference.

Pioneer 80PRS

• 2 weeks later...

What size isolator would I need? I went to another shop and the guy told me I would definitely need one. He suggested the PAC 200 due to having a 240 amp alt. I'm looking online and I only see a 200 and a 500 from stinger and pac...

Archived