Second Skin Audio

18 Inch Subs

im not trying to be a ass but if they arnt even released yet how do you know the DC lvl 4xl sounds good?

DC is geared more towards SQ and not SPL...

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

when I say I am comparing subs, I am assuming exact same alignment (though that is difficult for a 10" to have the same overall alignment as an 18, is it?)

uUuUuU hehe I'll practice

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=20454

tweeters, mids, more mids, and more mids, then a sub.... for a reason. Rather than just using 6 of the 18's for a reason.

NOT because the tweeter tweets "faster" and "snappier" than the subwoofer. When you play treble through a big huge giant subwoofer, yes, you can get treble from them... it's not slowed, sloppy, or less reactive. (but is it less transient? group delay?) but cone breakup and nodes are an issue, as well as efficiency..it's just quiet!

inductance :rolleyes:

IB3 22"

when I say I am comparing subs, I am assuming exact same alignment (though that is difficult for a 10" to have the same overall alignment as an 18, is it?)

uUuUuU hehe I'll practice

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=20454

tweeters, mids, more mids, and more mids, then a sub.... for a reason. Rather than just using 6 of the 18's for a reason.

NOT because the tweeter tweets "faster" and "snappier" than the subwoofer. When you play treble through a big huge giant subwoofer, yes, you can get treble from them... it's not slowed, sloppy, or less reactive. (but is it less transient? group delay?) but cone breakup and nodes are an issue, as well as efficiency..it's just quiet!

inductance :rolleyes:

The amount of mids/highs someone wants is ALL personal preference.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

The amount of mids/highs someone wants is ALL personal preference.

i wasn't talking about that at ALL

I was saying that there is a reason for different sized drivers. there is a reason we have tweets, mids, sometimes another mid (I have a 4 way active setup :D ) and a midwoofer and a subwoofer. If an 18" subwoofer created all frequencies just as well as a 10" subwoofer (which a 10 cant do all either) then why have multiple sized drivers for the full spectrum? Just go with more of the biggest baddest driver.

BUT

a well chosen 18 in the proper alignment/setup can do as well as and better than certain 10's in the upper bass frequencies

IB3 22"

I've had numerous people sit in my car and tell me my 18s were some of the hardest hitting subs they've heard- and I don't mean volume wise, I mean the initial attack. Enclosure and overall setup make the difference in sq, not the cone area of the sub.

Your right, put a 18" woofer in a sealed box and compare it to a 8" woofer in a bandpass, your gonna get better response out of the sealed box. Someone said 18's can play lower, I don't think so... Not in audible range anyways.

Moral of the story: Its all about alignment.

crxsilogozz5.gif

im not trying to be a ass but if they arnt even released yet how do you know the DC lvl 4xl sounds good?

because the DC lvl 4xl is an actually series that is made off of the DC lvl 4 with lvl 5 voice coil options.... rusty just decided to actually make a series out of it instead of people pickin the lvl 4 and askin for lvl 5 voice coils.... so yes they are out there just under a different name :ph34r:
Do you read ur own response b4 you post?...or just type ur gut reaction and headbutt the enter key? :blink:

How bout this, the Caddy sounds so damn good it can put a smile on a "deaf mans" face :)

mat then mix hardener into resin and soak mat. beeeeeyaw glassing for n00bs

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

never thought my question would generate this much controversy..lol

no your not creatin controversy its just there a lot of well educated ppl in here that know wat there talkin bout and when uneducated ppl have to come of and pretend they graduated wit a PHD in sound acoustics engineering we must step in and "politely point them in the right direction cuz we don't want misinformation spreadin around...
Do you read ur own response b4 you post?...or just type ur gut reaction and headbutt the enter key? :blink:

How bout this, the Caddy sounds so damn good it can put a smile on a "deaf mans" face :)

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

I was wondering this myself.

Inertia?

Sorry but The Honda/muscle car analogy is waaaay off.

It says nothing of power to mass RATIO.

A solid lead or gold or plutonium car w/ a 440 prolly aint movin to quick...but a 3cyl Metro will do 60mph+ (so the CHP say <_< ).

The power just has to be able to overcome the weight/mass involved.

But You were close.

HAHA.

This needs to be in someone's sig.

As quoted from "the guy in the crowd" that "knows it's all wrong.....but doesn't know or can't explain why".

Zero points alotted.

Bandwagons are for...Bands....and Wagoneers...And maybe sheepish folks that wanna fit in.

I have heard the same claims about the XXX 12's and 18's....Just never heard em MYSELF tho...I DO...TRUST one of the people I heard it from as a "well versed sub enthusiast"...But listening is all subjuctive anyhoo...and we're still talking bout "theory" here. Not like we're sittin in the SAME car bumpin some jams to "settle this once and for all"

It's like saying a 4cyl car doing 110mph into a brick wall is less deadly than a 8cyl doing the same...110mph...is a constant...just like 150db on a TL...is (pretty) constant. Same pressure= same damage.

More cone area with equal EXCURSION would in theory make more SPL...But we all know there's even more to it than THAT...(i.e. system/vehicle design)

Popularity is not an issue here....damn they beat me to it.

IIIIIIII

VVVVV

Werd. You tell em.

:lol: :lol: :lol: that part in red has had me laughin for the past 5 mins thats sig worthy and i'm takin it...

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

Archived