Crossover on supertweeters?

Carlos Tj

Hey whats up fellas? I want to install some supertweeters in my setup but my question is. Do I need to use a crossover with those? Ive heard that theres no need for a crossover and others say you need a passive crossover. What is the best way to install them? Im going to install directly to my headunit for now while I save up for am amp. But do I or not need a crossover? 

2005 Dodge Magnum

Kenwood DNX573S Double Din

NVX Big 3 Kit

NVX 0 Gauge Cable & speaker cable

XS Power V3100 Battery

Iraggi Alternator 320A

3.5" NVX Speakers

6.5" Incriminator Audio Components (just mids)

6x9" NVX Speaker

MVPA4 Amplifier

(2) 12" NVX VCW Subwoofers

XPLD3K NVX Amplifier

YouTube Channel

@CarlosTj664

yes every tweeter needs a crossover/ high pass filter even super tweeters, if not it wont sound right and will get damaged by the lower frequencies. look up your tweeter and check the spec on it, it should say what ranges of frequencies it should play and where it should be crossed at.. you can go with a passive crossover or you go with an active crossover.

the active crossover is best to use because it allows you to have more control of all your speakers frequencies. but it will cost more because those speakers will require there own dedicated amp/ channel. and for best results you will need a digital sound processor / DSP.

With passive crossover you can only set your frequencies with what is giving to you on the crossover. another con about using a passive crossover is that you will lose power output. for example lets say 50 watts is going in to the passive crossover the output will be less than 50 watts i'm not sure how much is lost. but it wont be the same vs the active crossover where you wont have that issue.

if you want more detail read this link: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DO1B0JnJp4p/learn/learningcenter/car/crossovers.html

4 Fi Q 12s In A Prius on 4 Crescendo BC2000D?! :WTFBubble: That's Absurd (!!!UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!) go follow http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190658-the-first-prius-with-4-12s/

c42977d4-a28f-47b5-a02f-49dbb8697b2d_zps

20 minutes ago, zoeboi954 said:

yes every tweeter needs a crossover/ high pass filter even super tweeters, if not it wont sound right and will get damaged by the lower frequencies. look up your tweeter and check the spec on it, it should say what ranges of frequencies it should play and where it should be crossed at.. you can go with a passive crossover or you go with an active crossover.

the active crossover is best to use because it allows you to have more control of all your speakers frequencies. but it will cost more because those speakers will require there own dedicated amp/ channel. and for best results you will need a digital sound processor / DSP.

With passive crossover you can only set your frequencies with what is giving to you on the crossover. another con about using a passive crossover is that you will lose power output. for example lets say 50 watts is going in to the passive crossover the output will be less than 50 watts i'm not sure how much is lost. but it wont be the same vs the active crossover where you wont have that issue.

if you want more detail read this link: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DO1B0JnJp4p/learn/learningcenter/car/crossovers.html

You think it would be appropriate to use my headunits crossover? The settings on my headunit are very detailed and can do a lot with it. I have the Kenwood DNX573S. Also could I just power it off the HeadUnit would it be enough to make it sound decent.

2005 Dodge Magnum

Kenwood DNX573S Double Din

NVX Big 3 Kit

NVX 0 Gauge Cable & speaker cable

XS Power V3100 Battery

Iraggi Alternator 320A

3.5" NVX Speakers

6.5" Incriminator Audio Components (just mids)

6x9" NVX Speaker

MVPA4 Amplifier

(2) 12" NVX VCW Subwoofers

XPLD3K NVX Amplifier

YouTube Channel

@CarlosTj664

The passive crossover is a safety mechanism if nothing else.  You can then set your headunit crossover higher than the passive crossover frequency.  Then, if you ever turn the head unit crossover off (for whatever reason), you wont blow them.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived