Jump to content

Double check my work.


Nishinga

Recommended Posts

Posted

I did an install in a friends vehicle about a month ago and hes starting to have problems, since im now married to this project I just wanted to have someone double check what I did because Im trying to diagnose the problem over the phone and am starting to second guess myself.

 

The setup is:

A older JVC headunit - front/rear RCAs to a NVX 800.4. (125x4 @ 4ohm)

Front left and right channels to a 8ohm Crescendo 6.5- to a 8ohm Crescendo FT1 crossover - to a 8ohm Crescendo FT1 in either front door

Rear left and right channel to a 4ohm Crescendo 6.5 in either rear door.

The high pass is set at 80hz and the gains are set properly with a DD-1.

 

The problem came up because the amp kept going into protect. After a while of diagnosing on the phone the end result is that we think the FT1's and/or the crossover are blown. 

I also found out that the radio was turned up a "few" clicks past the clipping point, which is what im assuming caused the problem.

 

I was told that the tweeters "weren't loud enough."

I assumed FT1's on that kind of power would be ear piercingly loud.

 

So thats where im starting to second guess that I hooked everything up right.

 

 

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. 

If there is a problem with something I did please let me know. If everything is right and you also think that pushing the radio volume past clipping caused this please let me know also.

At this point I plan to replace the crossovers and recone the tweeters and be more adamant about not going past the clipping point on the radio volume.

 

 

Posted

Looks like u got 125w going to each rear speaker, and 60w going to each of the four front speakers (62.5 to each mid and 62.5 to each tweet using a passive crossover) Maybe thats why he felt it wasnt loud enouch. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, 8ten8 said:

As per manufacturer specifications, that amp doesn't see 8 ohms. So... $$$

The amp should see 4 ohms with the 6.5 and tweeter wired in parallel with a crossover in between. Correct?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1064 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...