Second Skin Audio

38 Hz Tune...

Ok, I have been postin and searchin and even PM'ed a few here (thanks to everyone for all the responses) and when all is said and done, I will not be able to tune my planned wall below 38 hz.

So I just want to know what others with similar tune think after they have had their box/wall for a while? Is it decent for a daily driver, no SPL competitions?

I have been doing this for 15 yrs and have had mostly 15"s in sealed boxes. My current box is sealed with 4 12"s and drops off at 46 hz.

Steve The Man advised me to try to get it down to 35, but I just can't, cause I WANT 8 subs in there! And I don't want to PM him with all my pestering questions :lol: . Hopefully he's not lookin! :unsure:

So how bad is a 38 hz tune for a daily driver, 8 12"s, low powered by SMD standards, like 1K to 1500 watts running them all? I listen to mostly modern rock, but you guys have turned me on to Jeezy and Keak da Sneak, and all the other loud songs, so I have to have a little low end for those songs too.

**EDIT: it's all Hifonics subs and power, nothing special.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Which hifonics subs?

Just the regular ones, HFI12D4, found a nice deal on them, bought 4, and figured why not get 4 more! Not an SPL sub by any means, but I'm a long time Hifonics fan, and run their amps, too, will need another for the next 4 subs though.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

What amp are you trying to add? The crunch 1100.2?

Hey I like maxxsonics stuff in general, I've sold a ton of crunch stuff and sold to family to and tend to like the stuff as well. One of my favorites are pzi2250, that thing is a beast and I was getting them for like 50 bucks brand new, I probably sold 12-15 of those last summer...

What amp are you trying to add? The crunch 1100.2?

Hey I like maxxsonics stuff in general, I've sold a ton of crunch stuff and sold to family to and tend to like the stuff as well. One of my favorites are pzi2250, that thing is a beast and I was getting them for like 50 bucks brand new, I probably sold 12-15 of those last summer...

yep, had a Hifonics Zeus 400w x1 mono amp, bought a new 1100.2 thought it benched 1100 watts, found out only ~550-600 if I'm lucky, so I will need either another one, or maybe a one of their GP amps with more watts, PT Cruisers are limited electrical, so I really don't want to get to crazy with power.

I only have 2 cu ft internal per sub, and thats without port, Mike from Maxxsonics said no way to get below 38 hz tune with only 2.0 cu ft, and said the 12" sq per cu ft rule won't work to help me any with this sub. Steve said try to get it to 35 hz, but I don't know how. I am sticking to Hifonics port specs to play it safe.

I have been all over, up and down, back and forth, and I REALLY want 8 12"s, I know if I went with less subs I could tune lower, but figure if 38 is liveable, I will be happy, hell it's still 8 lower than my sealed dropoff point of 46!, and I'm ok with that, so 38 has to be better for the low stuff, but not like a 30 hz tune!

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

PT Cruisers are limited electrical, so I really don't want to get to crazy with power.

you're right about that... the lights dim on my dads old pt cruiser whenever he turned the air conditioner on ha..(and he didnt have any aftermartket stuff in there either.... just the power package...)

you ain't been bizzy til you've been wit jizzy.

Vehicle:: 2005 Saturn Ion

Headunit:: Jensen 9312HD

Speakers:: RE SE Coaxials

Subwoofer(s):: (2) 15" RE SEs

Amplifier(s):: Audiopipe AP1500.1D

Audiopipe AP1504

Enclosure:: Sealed

Wire: KNU KONCEPTZ 1/0

Battery:: Kinetik HC600

well i need to change that, i was supposed to be tuned to 37 hz, but mr spl2k informed me i built my box wrong, so im tuned lower, around 34hz....sounds very good and still plays the highs decent, but the lows make me happy...:)

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

If you are not worried about doing spl comps then why dont you build a pacman, power V, or diamond all sealed boxes that will get loud with min power.

they will also play low 30 hrtz range

No, even if I had more airspace for them, sealed boxes still roll off in the low to mid 40's. Not worried because I currently have the sealed box which rolls off -3db at 46 hz, so I figure 38 is significantly lower than 46, but then again 33 is significantly lower than 38.

I figure I am now at the 'build it and see what happens point'. I can always test it and change the port if needed. I see a lot of people on the maxxsonics forums that run them 36 and 37 hz and they seem to be happy, so 38 can't be to bad.

Just wanted to hear some real world experiences form people here with that tuning.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG