Grounding distro block. Ok to have batteries and amp ground together?

I want to double up and also clean up wiring in my Maxima. Going with dual inputs and a ground distro block to start along with new terminals etc... A little confused on if it's ok to ground the battery and amps together. I was told not to ground amps to the battery but a distro with all grounds attached seems like the same thing. Please chime in. 

Go to the electrical forum and search for this topic. I just read it and most go to battery if they can. You are right in saying that it seems like either way is one in the same. I know keeping your ground as short as possible is a good thing. Since your alt is a power source and the case is a ground, your engine block is a ground and the chassis is should be all tied together. Have you done the big 3? 

57 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

Go to the electrical forum and search for this topic. I just read it and most go to battery if they can. You are right in saying that it seems like either way is one in the same. I know keeping your ground as short as possible is a good thing. Since your alt is a power source and the case is a ground, your engine block is a ground and the chassis is should be all tied together. Have you done the big 3? 

Yeah I have three big 3 done with ofc 1/0 and just put in a Mechman 270 2 days ago. Actually added a ground to the alt also. It didn't have one to begin with. I have the alt fused with a 400 amp fuse as per instructions and then that connects with my battery. My front battery s then connect via double fused 1/0 cable (12" away from both batteries with 250 amp fuses) then power to each amp ( Orion 2500.1dz and 1000.4) and then I have 3 grounds under the seats ground to bare metal cleanly and fastened with the seatbelt bolts. 1 ground to the battery and the other 2 to the amps. Trying to add real power... 4k + to the subs very soon. I'm new to all this but determined to do things right so any advice is appreciated. 

Sounds like your on the right track. Any pics or a build log started? where is your second battery? Are you using one run of 0 awg?

6 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Sounds like your on the right track. Any pics or a build log started? where is your second battery? Are you using one run of 0 awg?

No build log but I do have pics I'll post soon as I learn how. 1 run at the moment. Battery is in the trunk. It's just a Bosch AGM g24. Going with a group 31 most likely soon. Probably Northstar or xs

11 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

A 400 amp fuse. You may as well take that out.  Per instructions. Weird Matt would say that. But,  you may as well take that fuse out. 

The instructions that came with the alternator says if the alt is 250+ amps to fuse with a 400 amp fuse. I'm definitely all ears tho. Especially dealing with the experienced. 

Archived