Sonic Electronix

Some thing Ive never really understood...Crimping and soldering

How's it done differently than crimping?

Crimping is done with a crimping tool (like a plier), some people use vice's, vice grips, etc. You would basically be squeezing the wire to attach it to the terminal. Soldering is done with either a pencil torch, or a soldering iron/gun, and you use solder which maybe a combination of lead or iron (although many electrical solders are lead free) and kind of weld the wire to the terminal. thats the difference between the two.. :)

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

How's it done differently than crimping?

Crimping is done with a crimping tool (like a plier), some people use vice's, vice grips, etc. You would basically be squeezing the wire to attach it to the terminal. Soldering is done with either a pencil torch, or a soldering iron/gun, and you use solder which maybe a combination of lead or iron (although many electrical solders are lead free) and kind of weld the wire to the terminal. thats the difference between the two.. :)

Great explaination, Thanks bro. I guess this would be the same as when my grandpa when he welds metal together with a torch gun?

Yeah, close. I don't know how to describe it that well in words but, lets say you want to weld a 90 degree steel joint... With welding you are actually melting the edges of the steel while adding steel to make a super strong joint. With soldering you are not melting anything but the solder that you will be using to join the wire to the terminal.. i hope i explained it well ;)

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

I don't know if you know much about Air conditioning but my dad used to "sweat" the lines which was adding a bead of copper I think it was. Basically instead of melting the metal and wire together, you melt this solder stuff onto the wire and terminal and it cools and hardens

I don't know if you know much about Air conditioning but my dad used to "sweat" the lines which was adding a bead of copper I think it was. Basically instead of melting the metal and wire together, you melt this solder stuff onto the wire and terminal and it cools and hardens

on a air-conditioning line you would silver solder the lines, because you need the joints to stand upto good amounts of pressure and the bead you lay over the joint is actually 5% Real silver and95% silver alloy (no flux needed, its basic brazing)

"Sweating"  is the same thing as Soldering.

lets see if I can explian it. ( Im a PipeFitter I work with copper alot!)

Soldering actually uses heat and a chemical reaction to make it work.

applying heat to the flux creates a reaction, the acid in the flux when heated up reacts with oxygen.

when soldering pipe you apply flux to the inside of the joint, apply heat and solder, when the acid reaches a certin tempature it will literly try and pull in more oxygen into the joint so it can burn, thus creating a vacum.

while applying the heat to the copper you let the copper melt the solder and the vaccum created by the flux trying to get more oxygen will pull the solder into the joint.

now electronics solder is abit differrent, it has flux allready in the solder, so how does it work?? very similar actually,

depending on what you use as your heat source (IRON, pencil tourch, and so on) on a ring terminal like we use for Car audio, I heat the terminal and wire up being carefull not to melt my insulation jacket, then I touch the solder to the wire if it melts I keep adding more while giving it a little more heat close to the insulation jacket to "pull" the solder downa s far as I can.  the solder because of the reaction of the flux to heat will follow the heat.

To pull a properly soldered terminal apart you would have to be put at least 150#'s psi on the ring and the wire at the same time, and I dont see that happening in the car audio world unless the wire got tangled in the Engine or Driveline

all right class dismissed