Second Skin Audio

having some issues with subwoofer/reads out on ohm meter

been busting my ass on this build picked up enclosure yesterday

hooked the 4 amps up, 1 subwoofer wasn't working, checked with dmm, read out fine

thought issue was with amp ( running 1 amp per sub) hooked up bass knob to see if it was in protect or something (the green power light led light is burnt out) bass knob powered up fine, showed voltage and no protection light

next I tried all 4 subs on 2 amplifiers, the 1 sub still not working, but reads out fine- these 2 amplifiers came from my other build and I know worked fine when pulled a week ago

anyone have any idea whats going on here? gonna throw a 9 volt on it now and see if that gets me anywhere:wacko:

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

so the 9 volt didn't move sub at all, tried it on another sub moved fine, pulled subwoofer, connections look good checked it with dmm again. reads out at .7 (dual 1.4 paralleled)

hooked up only that subwoofer, no sound at all. im really puzzled here, I just don't understand how it can read out on a dmm and not have any sound when hooked to several different amps

Kenwood excelon ddx795

McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

Have you tried pressing down on the sub to see if there was any kinda scratching noises which would indicate a coil is bad.

One other test you can try which I used to do back in electronics class, hook up the speaker to a battery and see if you get any movement.

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

3 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

See if the motor is magnetized.....  It may not have gotten done. Ive seen that, more than once

Heck ive had it where the wires were reversed before the + was - and the - was +, anything is possible, heck even had a DOA Rockford Fosgate amp once brand new.

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

the lead solder job on 1 side of spider to voice coil looks pretty shitty, these were drop in recons from dave leib, subs were used but I thought about the magnetism thing and will look into it.

I did the reconing myself, have done quite a few without problems

I tried the battery, nothin,even revered polarity

the ohm load reading does not change even when pushing down on the subwoofer, to me that is kind of the nail in the coffin. no rubbing.

I think it may be defective parts. at this time I don't think it can be fixed without another recone, will look into magnetism right now though and provide an update.

needed this build done by noon tomorrow and everything is ready to go except this 1 subwoofer. cockblocking bastard

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl

I had left the dmm hooked up when I came in the make the last post and it fell all the way down to .5 at the speaker wire including the resistance of the dmm prongs, which is normally .6 or .7 on this dmm.

so its reading basically no resistance maybe? hmm

also I checked magnetism, seems fine

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl

Archived