Check out the SMD Store @ WcCarAudio.com!

Jump to content
 
 

Recommended Posts

I recently just installed some kicker cs 6x9s to replace the image dynamics. I’m still unhappy with my system as it isn’t loud enough for me. The fact that my front stage speakers are only 3.5” plays a big part in this as well. I may install a EQX from Audiocontrol or would buying a Pioneer 80prs be a better option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding an EQ or changing HU isn't really going to make your system any louder. You may need to do those kick panels like mentioned. Fiberglassing isn't too difficult if you've not done it before, and there are plenty of how to's on this site, as well as the rest of the internet. Using the 3.5 as your fullrange/tweeter, adding a 6.5 to the kicks as somewhat of a midbass/midrange to pickup where the 3.5 and your sub can't. Im not sure how much power your amp puts out, but dont be afraid to match your speakers with an amp that can provide more than the speakers RMS of CLEAN power. 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, reedal said:

Adding an EQ or changing HU isn't really going to make your system any louder. You may need to do those kick panels like mentioned. Fiberglassing isn't too difficult if you've not done it before, and there are plenty of how to's on this site, as well as the rest of the internet. Using the 3.5 as your fullrange/tweeter, adding a 6.5 to the kicks as somewhat of a midbass/midrange to pickup where the 3.5 and your sub can't. Im not sure how much power your amp puts out, but dont be afraid to match your speakers with an amp that can provide more than the speakers RMS of CLEAN power. 

It’s a hard comprise seeing as I didn’t want to mess with the factory interior, but I really have no choice if I want a louder system. I have fiberglassed in the past, so I’m no stranger to it. I have two options, either building kick panels or buying new door panels made for 6.5” speakers. My amp is rated for 100 rms @4ohm @12v and 145 rms @4ohm @14.4v. If I went the kick panels route, what would be the best direction to aim the speakers? Or would I have to play around with them until I find what I like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely play with locations and aiming to see what sound you want. It may be louder in one direction but sound more clear in another.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using a laser pointer to get the center of the speaker location close to the listening position will help in SQ IMO. Those replacement panels look as if the speaker is pretty vertical in its location so it might take a bit more tuning to get them sounding as good as one angled to your listening position. I know Q-forms put some aiming of the speaker in there kick panels.

 

kickerpanelsfinished004_zps219a8634.jpg

These were my first attempt for my 03 Lancer. Turned out good, sounded good with another set of T2 6.5" in the doors.

 

Lancerstereoupgrade3022_zps7d41375d.jpg

Playing with driver positioning.

 

IMG_1919_zpsb997b145.jpgRepainted to match interior.

 

IMG_2528_zpsl5ynle7k.jpg

Bought a used set of kick panels off Ebay for $25 and made  kick panels for dedicated 8" mid-bass driver. Playing 65hz - 125hz. RF 8"Shallow P3D2 getting about 250 watts each.

 

IMG_2594_zpsysjciz95.jpg

Finished front stage. Took years to get it hear, it was all a learning and fun experience .

You will have to get creative to make your system sound the way you want but in the end it will be worth it.

Keep us posted what direction you go. Great job with the pics to, we always like to see what your working with. I have a shit ton of pics of all my builds. Good luck man.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, reedal said:

Definitely play with locations and aiming to see what sound you want. It may be louder in one direction but sound more clear in another.

 

7 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Using a laser pointer to get the center of the speaker location close to the listening position will help in SQ IMO. Those replacement panels look as if the speaker is pretty vertical in its location so it might take a bit more tuning to get them sounding as good as one angled to your listening position. I know Q-forms put some aiming of the speaker in there kick panels.

 

kickerpanelsfinished004_zps219a8634.jpg

These were my first attempt for my 03 Lancer. Turned out good, sounded good with another set of T2 6.5" in the doors.

 

Lancerstereoupgrade3022_zps7d41375d.jpg

Playing with driver positioning.

 

IMG_1919_zpsb997b145.jpgRepainted to match interior.

 

IMG_2528_zpsl5ynle7k.jpg

Bought a used set of kick panels off Ebay for $25 and made  kick panels for dedicated 8" mid-bass driver. Playing 65hz - 125hz. RF 8"Shallow P3D2 getting about 250 watts each.

 

IMG_2594_zpsysjciz95.jpg

Finished front stage. Took years to get it hear, it was all a learning and fun experience .

You will have to get creative to make your system sound the way you want but in the end it will be worth it.

Keep us posted what direction you go. Great job with the pics to, we always like to see what your working with. I have a shit ton of pics of all my builds. Good luck man.

 

 

Once I redo the wiring and get the amps mounted I will take more pictures. I think I’m going to take my sub out the pre-fab box and design my own. As for the kick panels, I watched the videos from Car Audio Fabrication regarding speaker aiming. I know most components are design to be ran IB and than there’s speakers like Silver Flutes which can be ran sealed or vented (correct me if I’m wrong). Which do you think would sound better, a set of components ran active or buying separate mids and tweeters?

Edited by LoudPackRacing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×