battery necessary?

I may have the chance to pick up a used alternator that will put out about twice the power I need. I would run it dedicated to my amps. I assume a battery would be necessary, right? I’m not sure why and was hoping someone could explain the reason. Also, could I use a small motorcycle battery? Thanks.

What brand alt? What amps you running? Im not familiar with motorcycle batts but if they arent a fully sealed batt like an agm they will let off fumes that are dangerous and shouldnt be used inside the vehicle. Kinetik has a few cheaper agm batts that will work in your cab.

More details about the system,.what amps, what alt, the more info you give us the better we can help you.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Thanks for getting back to me, guys. The combined draw of my amps is slightly less than 100a if I'm doing the math right. The alternator is a Mechman 220a unit but I can't get the model number or specs because the seller is ignoring me. It's not a real good deal and I might just buy a new one instead. The alternator will be added as a second alternator because that will be easier than trying to replace the stock unit, and will be independent of the stock alternator and cars electronics.

The amps are:

Zapco st850xm II mono 600w rms

Zapco AG360 90w x 4 rms (actually running 2 channels @ 4ohm so 50w x 2 on two of them)

Phoenix Gold MS275 140w x 2 rms

Yes the Motorcycle battery is an AGM. There is a guy selling a pair of AGM Energie 1200's locally but I'm reluctant to buy used batteries because they may have sat a year for all I know.

So you're intending to run it as a standalone system or it will be tied together with the factory alt and bath as well?

You need a single wire(or self exciting) alt to do a standalone system just so you know, otherwise it wont charge.

What type of vehicle is this?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Broke_audio_addict thank you for pointing out that I need a one-wire alt. I did not know that and would have been pissed to fab up a bracket and buy the right pulley and belt to find that out. Yes, I'm not going to tie it into the stock system at all. 100% self contained.

Motorcycle battery might be a little small. Get a group 35 or something similarly sized, that should work. While I don't anticipate you'd drop below battery voltage with that setup, the battery will have an amount of capacitance and that's what you're after. 

As to the alt, if you're handy, you could make your own wiring harness for it. Would only get tricky if it's for a vehicle that's externally regulated from the factory, in which case you'd need a regulator for it

Those moto batts will work but id just buy new batts. Used ones are always a gamble. A 220 amp good proven brand alt should work fine for your intended purpose with a large agm like kinetik or xspower. Ac delco also has cheap agms online.

Thanks you guys. SnowDrifter, whether or not the alt is internally regulated is what I was trying to find out. The seller is just not responding. He must have sold it and not taken the ad down. I'll go ahead and buy a new car battery. Thanks for the feedback.

What vehicle is it from? You can reference the OE diagram or send mechman a note seeking guidance 

Archived