Second Skin Audio

Hello!!! Advice on a BOX for Fi TEAM 18v2

Dragonsyph

19 hours ago, Joe X said:

Hopefully this answers all your questions:

top.jpg

You have been so much help, happy holidays. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

This is probly a stupid question but the amp im getting has only ON and OFF switch for 

Infrasonic(sub  sonic) Filter Selectable  On/Off  Octave 12dB at 25Hz

You said set to 28hz,   is the box being at 33 and my subsonic at 25 gonna blow something up?   I could just lower the GAIN ever so slightly more then i would reg to prevent more clipping from 25-33?

Actually it's a fair question, here's the excursion plot for 5K RMS input:

exc5000.jpg

And here's the excursion plot for 7K RMS input:

exc.jpg

From the plots you can see that at 5K input you would reach the 32mm at say 23 Hz BUT at 7K you would reach Xmax at about 26Hz so the 25Hz subsinic filter is a better fit for 5K power if you want to keep in the linear region.

37 minutes ago, Joe X said:

Actually it's a fair question, here's the excursion plot for 5K RMS input:

exc5000.jpg

And here's the excursion plot for 7K RMS input:

exc.jpg

From the plots you can see that at 5K input you would reach the 32mm at say 23 Hz BUT at 7K you would reach Xmax at about 26Hz so the 25Hz subsinic filter is a better fit for 5K power if you want to keep in the linear region.

Ok thank you very much.  So i should be fine with it set to 25, with the orion 5k amp?   Im still kinda confused.   I know this amp dynos for well over 5k.

But im just using this for music.  So if my amp hits 7k rms on my sub it could hit Xmax and break?

These amps are rated at 12.6v at 5k rms 1ohm.   So its gonna probably do a lot more at 14-15v.    Seen them dyno for about 7k RMS at 14.8v.  

1. Or am i all wrong, and the graphs show XMAX with NO subsonic filter on?   So with no filter it would hit Xmax at 7000 rms at 26hz?  Or is that with the 25hz filter?
  2. So would you say im SAFE with this amp set to 25hz?   Or can i buy an aftermarket Subsonic filter and set it to 28hz?

The plots are without any filter applied, if you go out of Xmax a little you won't bottom out, you are out of the linear region and will experience distortion but you need to hit Xmech  to bottom out, anyhow I wouldn't like the 25Hz SSF on 7K. you could tune the box lower as an alternative.

16 minutes ago, Joe X said:

The plots are without any filter applied, if you go out of Xmax a little you won't bottom out, you are out of the linear region and will experience distortion but you need to hit Xmech  to bottom out, anyhow I wouldn't like the 25Hz SSF on 7K. you could tune the box lower as an alternative.

Ok thanks again, and im sorry im asking so much stuff, i love learning about these things.

Is the statement Set Sub filter to HALF an octave below box tunning true at all?   So 33hz box would have you set your Filter to 24.75? So by there, statement 25hz filter would be fine? 

It's a rule of thumb, not too bad as you can see but it has it's limitations, I would add that unless you are competing you will find it difficult to hear the 1.5-2dB difference between 5 and 7K,  you could also compromise a little say 6K and a 32Hz tuning, for daily use only of course. 

43 minutes ago, Joe X said:

It's a rule of thumb, not too bad as you can see but it has it's limitations, I would add that unless you are competing you will find it difficult to hear the 1.5-2dB difference between 5 and 7K,  you could also compromise a little say 6K and a 32Hz tuning, for daily use only of course. 

Im happy with 5k, i guess i would just need to keep my system voltage around 13v to stay near 5k.  14+ is when id probably hit 6-7k.   

Sad thinking im trying to limit my amps wattage lol.  

Been trying to find a crossover i could buy to hook my decks RCA to then RCA from that to the amp,  But i can't find any crossover with LPF thats lower then 30hz,  most can only go low as 35hz.  If i found one that i can set as low as 27-28  would that work lol?

Think I'm just gonna settle with what you gave me already, I feel like I'm being annoying lol.   5k amp with 33hz box and filter set to 25hz.  

I wanna thank you so much, you have taught me a lot on here and I'm am so thankful. 

10 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

Im happy with 5k, i guess i would just need to keep my system voltage around 13v to stay near 5k.  14+ is when id probably hit 6-7k.   

Sad thinking im trying to limit my amps wattage lol.  

Been trying to find a crossover i could buy to hook my decks RCA to then RCA from that to the amp,  But i can't find any crossover with LPF thats lower then 30hz,  most can only go low as 35hz.  If i found one that i can set as low as 27-28  would that work lol?

Think I'm just gonna settle with what you gave me already, I feel like I'm being annoying lol.   5k amp with 33hz box and filter set to 25hz.  

I wanna thank you so much, you have taught me a lot on here and I'm am so thankful. 

FOr $100 you can get  a MiniDSP to go between your deck and your amp.  You can set  your subsonic filter to anything you want with it.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived