Help with clipping.

Hey this is my first ever forum post about car audio so take it easy on me hah! 

Ill start out with run down of setup... 2010 Silverado crew cab, 370 mechman with regulator built in at a constant 15.1 v. Yellow top under hood 2 170ah North Star battery’s 4 runs of 2/0 from alt and yellow top to north stars. No fuses what so ever... 2 plat3 psi 18s reconed ho with quad tensile tall surround etc lots of upgraded soft parts. 2 3500 audio legion amps strapd at .7 ohms box is under window line 16cube net with port at 29hz. Head unit is a 60$ pioneer from Walmart. No clipping light or bass knob.

I’m trying to figure out where my clipping is coming from I have access to a snapon verus with lab scope but can’t seem to find the right settings to check waves for clipping. Is there anyway to do it without using dd1 or oscope. I have a nice multimeter but dunno if I can set gain or check preouts or for clipping

if I missed anything please let me know what I need to add or do to not blow vcs again lol. Thanks in advance

The 60$ headunit probably clips at about ~3/4 volume give or take no matter what you set your amps gain to. I would tune your system to where you know that head unit doesn't clip at first, then set your gains. Might be some information online about the headunits clipping point you could start with since you don't have an oscope to check or a dd1. 

Another thing is some people are willing to share tools like the dd1, so linking up with someone in your area could help you locate your issue easier than anything else.

Idk how up to date it is but here you go: Map | Original Post

Side note: No fuses? Why is this?

On 1/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, Edmo said:

. No fuses what so ever...

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:09 AM, Edmo said:

Ill start out with run down of setup... 2010 Silverado crew cab, 370 mechman with regulator built in at a constant 15.1 v. Yellow top under hood 2 170ah North Star battery’s 4 runs of 2/0 from alt and yellow top to north stars. No fuses what so ever... 2 plat3 psi 18s reconed ho with quad tensile tall surround etc lots of upgraded soft parts. 2 3500 audio legion amps strapd at .7 ohms box is under window line 16cube net with port at 29hz. Head unit is a 60$ pioneer from Walmart. No clipping light or bass knob.

I’m trying to figure out where my clipping is coming from I have access to a snapon verus with lab scope but can’t seem to find the right settings to check waves for clipping. Is there anyway to do it without using dd1 or oscope. I have a nice multimeter but dunno if I can set gain or check preouts or for clipping

if I missed anything please let me know what I need to add or do to not blow vcs again lol. Thanks in advance

where are you located in Mississippi ??? I live in the Jackson (Rankin County) area ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

On 1/9/2019 at 6:09 AM, Edmo said:

What I have found about clipping and trying to maximize your gain and system with tuning etc... 

Get an amp with a clipping indicator on it. I'm not even sure I'd run an amp without one anymore. It just makes things so much easier. I personally think that anything over 1200 watts or so should be standard with a clipping detector coming out of Korea. Jmo

Hey guys thanks for reply’s but I’ve found a buddy with a oscope going tomorrow to set it all. Im in desoto btw and no fuses bc why not live life on the edge lol. No clipping light bc audio legion doesn’t make one I even ordered a different bass knob from them but yep no fuses on amps or clipping indicators. Before recones on the kick it was metering at 156db at 47hz so hope this time around it’ll be at a lower hz with the new box n upgrades... wish me luck!!

Dang ... 234 miles north 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived