Sundown Audio

Just a dumb question about OHMs and Watts.

Dragonsyph

Iv looked over so many amp specs and im just wondering something.

Let's say for example all amps are 5k rated at 1ohm, now when we look at the 4ohm and 2ohm ratings some 5k amps will have 3500 2ohm and some will only have 2000 or so at 2ohm, same thing with 4ohm ratings some are 2000-2500 and some are low as 1500.  Heck iv even saw some with 4ohm rating low as 1300 watts. 

My question is why are the 2ohm and 4ohm ratings so different?  

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

because of the way resistance works. lower resistance (ohms) subwoofers give more of an electrical load to the amplifier.

so lower ohm subwoofers will generally draw more watts of power. and be more powerful on the same amplifier with the gain not changed. and be louder vs a higher ohm subwoofer running at the same volume and amplifier gain

2 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

because of the way resistance works. lower resistance subwoofers give more of an electrical load to the amplifier.

so lower ohm subwoofers will generally draw more watts of power. and be more powerful on the same amplifier. vs a higher ohm subwoofer.

I'm talking about the rated power of the amp by specs given by the manufacturer.  

If amp A is rated at 5k 1ohm and 3700 2ohm,  why is amp B rated at 5k 1ohm and only 2600 2ohm for example?  

1 minute ago, realflow100 said:

its just how the amplifier works.

the differences can be due to circuit design. being more or less efficient at different ohm loads. how true to spec the amplifier is.

So amps with really good 2ohm and 4ohm vs 1ohm loads are better is what im getting? 

19 minutes ago, Dragonsyph said:

So amps with really good 2ohm and 4ohm vs 1ohm loads are better is what im getting? 

Not better just different. 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:54 PM, bcbrassard said:

Not better just different. 

Aww ok, just a bit confusing to me.  My thinking was, with impedance rise inside the vehicle that you are more likely to be at 2-4ohm load when wired down to 1ohm from rising?   So i just thought a 5k amp that does 3700 at 2ohm would be better then a 5k amp that does 2500 at 2ohm just because of rise? 

Was just trying to get an understanding of why amp watt ratings vary so much past 1ohm. 

Archived